Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1968 mustang who's automatic transmissions's time has come and gone. The unit will have to be replaced but I was curious to whether or not I can replace the automatic with a manual transmission. Is this a frivilous endevour or is it possible? What changes would have to be made to the car to make this happen. I'd appreciate and insight.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Yes, you can replace it with a manual trans. the topic has been covered many times, try using the search feature in the upper right corner of the screen to find information about it. it will end up costing you about $1000 any way you look at it.

- jason

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is that the price with or without the tranny itself.Is rebuilding a c4 hard???

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I'm doing a toploader conversion on my 68 Cougar. The automatic brake pedal pad can be modfied to work with a clutch pedal, clutch pedal can be installed by simply removing the drivers side fresh air vent. Pre-punched hole in the firewall for the clutch rod, holes in the frame for the z bar pivot should be there..

Not a "walk on the beach", but not brain surgery either...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
The guys that posted know more about it than I do. In the case of the 65 coupe, I swapped out the automatic assy (well it was a kluged manual clutch/brake) with a clutch/brake assy from another 65. My manual tranny is a 3 spd from a 67 or 68 mustang. I'll discover if the tranny crossmember will bolt on or need to be relocated. Might help to find out what your rear end gear ratio is. Since my car was an original automatic, the rear end is 2.80:1. A little high for a 4 spd. Should work ok with a 3 spd. I will find out when I hit the road in a few years...a 3.0:1 or 3.25:1 would be just a little better in my book, 3.50:1 would be great for a four speed.

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Have you ever re-built an automatic transmission? It takes a long time to get a hold on things in an automatic. My friend re-built mine for me, and when I saw all the clutch packs, valve body, and everything else in it, i about peed my paints. I hear manuals are much easier to re-build though.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Basic changes are adding clutch pedal and linkage, changing flexplate to flywheel, pressure plate and clutch. Adding bell housing, fork and boot. Installing tranny if stock.
Cost...about $2K unless you can find a donor car to rob the parts from. $1K of this is the cost of the professionally rebuilt four-speed. The rest is wrapped up in all the misc parts listed above and new shifter. Only a little more and you can have a new five-speed. You can do it cheaper by finding a good used tranny (four speed) but often this leads to a rebuild within a few weeks and then you have to pay the piper anyway.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm currently rebuilding a 68 coupe that I bought with no engine or tranny. The engine was easy to find. The complicated part is finding everything needed for the transmission without going broke. Look at some of the parts catalogs and see their diagrams for trannies. Everything you see, you will need. If you can find a parts car, take EVERYTHING that looks like is has something to do with switching gears. I'm currently acquiring everthing for a toploader and I'm kicking myself in the butt for not spending the extra $ and getting the T-5 setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts