Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i have been looking on autotrader for a long time (about 3 months) for a 67 mustang coupe. i have not found very many manual transmission 67s for under $5000. im not right at enough money right now, but, i had a question. i have found many many automatic 67 mustangs for well under $5000. is there a lot involved in switching from an auto to a manual? i dont want a new t-5 or whatever you call them, it wouldnt have to be a brand new transmission, unless its cheap to get a brand new one. around how much would it cost to do that swap? is it risky? ex. is there a chance the mustang will have a lot of problems in the future because of doing that swap? btw i want a 289 not i6, if that matters. is this an option for me?
thanks i appreciate all you guys who answer my stupid questions :)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
depending on wether or not you go new or used etc. you can spend anywhere from 1 on up to 2000k + bucks. there are alot of variables involved.

naturally youd save more if you got a used tranny etc

it also saves you a ton of money if you are doing the labor yourself of course. i toyed with the idea a while, but the cost and time of it all has all but scared me away bc its my daily driver.

if your going to do it, opt for that 5th overdriven gear, it will be the best thing youve ever done for yourself and your car

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks
well if youve done research into it and its too expensive, im pretty sure thats good enough for me, bc it would be my daily driver also.

·
Registered
251 Posts
a friend of mine changed his auto to a manual, but he is a mechanic by trade. not to scare you away, if you have some knowledge of how a manual differs from an auto, you should be ok. Most of the mustang suppliers have a late model t-5 conversion kit available. Few hundred dollars i believe for the kit, plus the cost of tranny. You can find a t-5 in the 5.0's if you want one used, or in summit racing if you would like a new world class one. New i believe they run about $1300.

hope that helps

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I researched it while I was still in my infant stages of getting a mach 1 and realized that if what I wanted was a stick ( it is) then I should go and get a stick and be a bit more patient. The cost of the conversion including everything was about 3500.00 Thats NEW everything which I think you have to be nuts not to do if you are already into it for the labor. There are PLENTY of sticks 67's coupes out here in CA and I am sure in other places. My advice is to go with what you want even if it takes a little longer.

Also your questions are not stupid... only the ones you never ask are.. and besides how do you think all of us got the answers that you seek in the first place? :: Remember... a wise man once asked....

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
If this is truly going to be your daily driver, I would urge you to find an automatic. I had a '65 4-speed while living in San Francisco, and my left knee is still thanking me for selling that car! They're fun and well-suited for the performance minded - but an A/T feels a lot better for the daily grind.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
The transmission itself is the easy part. Auto cars will need a different brake pedal support, and then you have to get the correct clutch pedal and all the linkage. You also have to change the flywheel and bellhousing. Depending on what you get the driveshaft might have to be shortened too. And if you are really nit-picking, camshafts are usually ground for either auto or manual transmissions.

As far as "risky" or "reliable," that all depends on how well it is installed and how you drive it. Installed properly and with regular maintenance, and assuming you don't abuse them, either will last forever.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Dan makes a good point, a daily driver stick shift can be hassle depending upon your daily commute. That being said, a auto to manual swap is not as difficult as it once was. Before I did my conversion I did quite a bit of research and found that you should budget anywhere from $2000 to $3000 depending upon your transmission choices and set up choices. These estimates are based upon use of new or freshly rebuilt transmission ($1000 to $1500). If you can score a used one, your costs will go down. This budget also has no money for installation, the assumption being you'd do the work yourself.

Things to consider:
* cable & Z-bar or hydraulic clutch?
* four speed or 5 speed with overdrive?
* you will need to find a donor set of brake and clutch pedals
* your drive shaft length will require changing
* you will need to purchase a bell housing
* you will need to replace your flex plate with a fly wheel
* you will need to purchase a manual shifter and linkage
* you will need to remove and plug your old auto transmission cooling lines
* stick shifts are fun to drive

I'm sure there are other things that I'm forgetting. Do some due diligence and make your decision based your findings. I have found that with enough time and research, the right answer will make itself apparent.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
great post ::

This may not be typical, but here is what I did ('67 Mustang 289/C4 to T5):

* 1990 Mustang GT T-5, bellhousing, used (5k miles) Zoom clutch/PP, fork, T/O bearings (2) and stock clutch cable: $600 from Corral classifieds.

*aluminum block plate: $15

* pedal assembly-- used '65 clutch and brake pedals, and original support: $0 (left over from previous car). This required a brake pushrod change from the original 'teardrop' shape to a straight one (pulled from a mid-60s Galaxie ::). Otherwise, it all drops right in.

* clutch quadrant -- $5 (bought 'blem' example from Mustang Steve :: )

* crossmember -- $125 from Dark Horse Performance

* driveshaft/yoke -- $75 to shorten original d/s, used C4 yoke

* clutch firewall adjuster, etc -- fabbed from steel scrap and assorted bracketry: $0 Modded stock clutch cable by welding on threaded rod for adjustment at clutch end.

TOTAL COST: $820 (no cost for my time, obviously).

Only real 'gotcha' was that, like so many others, my longtube headers blocked the bellhousing 'ear' for the clutch cable. Fixed for $0 by cutting and rewelding one primary tube (thanks, Mberglow ! ::)

again, prob not typical, and I could have saved a few more shekels here and there, but I am pleased with the results ::

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok first thing, thanks dan66 and other people given advice about automatics. i really appreciate a broad spectrum of opinions. there is something to consider, its not like this is my first car or that its my second and i drove an auto for a first car. i drive a 1994 toyota pickup everywhere and its a 5 speed. now obviously the mustang isnt going to be as easy to drive a manual as toyota, but i know what it feels like. i have been stuck in traffic a few times not a lot though and i have no problems with the stick. a couple months ago my knees were killing me and i thought it was from driving a stick(i had been depressing the pedal at every light no matter how long, instead of putting it into neutral!) my doctor said i had "patella pain" it was tendons being stretched just because of my age, 17. i started putting it into neutral all the time, and it solved my knee pain about 80%!! i cant imagine driving an auto for my truck let alone a fast fun mustang! ive thought about it a lot and i think i would regret not getting a manual later if i got an auto. the pleasure of driving manual will out weigh the pain of manual in traffic, imo. sssooo, hearing all the complications from doing the swap, im about 85% sure im just going to keep waiting for a 4 speed. no looking back made a good point, that its better to be patient than run into a big mess of converting the car. plus i would be getting this mustang as a daily driver so i wouldnt have time to do all that conversion work because i would need to drive it to work. thanks for all the information everyone, it helped a lot!
thanks again

alex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts