Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rebuilt a 302 for my 66 and installed it with the tranny. Made a huge mistake on the install by mounting the Torque Converter to the motor first then slipping the tranny on (C4). The motor will not turn over, not with the starter or with a breaker bar.

My question is what damage might I have done, broke seals/pumps?? Once I get the tranny back out where do I look, will it be evident if there is a problem just by looking, or will I need to take the pan off??

Any advice would be appreciated...

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I did the same thing on my 1st engine swap many years ago, but that was a Pontiac/th400 combo. In any case, once the converter was properly mounted everything worked OK. In this case, the C4 bellhousing mounts to the case with the front pump bolts and you've just put a lot of pressure on the front pump! I would suggest checking the pump and housing for cracks around the pump bolts as well as the bellhousing to block bolt holes. Next, make sure you haven't bent the flexplate. It's not likely since the converter should bottom out on the crank before damaging the flexplate but if you pushed it out of alignment the starter won't engage properly so it's worth checking. Maybe someone else will chime in with some other suggestions, but I think if everything passes a visual inspection that you'd be OK to put it back together (engaging the converter properly in the trans 1st, of course ;)) and try it out.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
You did it right by mounting the torque converter in the tranny and then mounting the tranny. Sounds like you didn't get the torque converter seated fully though.

You'll need to check your input shaft and make sure you didn't bugger it up. Also you will need to dial indicate (check runout) your flexplate to be sure you didn't bend it.

The last thing you want to do is put it back together if the flexplate is bent.

I'm sure others will chime in with more things to look for!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Pull the front pump, take it apart and inspect it.

Or take the pump to a trans. shop, have them inspect it, if OK, have them install a new converter bushing and front seal.

Pick up a pump gasket while you're there.

If it's cracked, they may have a good used one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts