Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to have a '68 GT I'm buying shipping from NJ to Atlanta. So far I have found a range of quotes from about $500 to $650. The higher $650 quote is thru DAS and I have had friend use them b4. They said they can ensure a certain pickup...I want to be there when the car gets on the trailer. They also told me they don't insure the car...and the places who say they are are lying! Anyone else understand this? I'm gonna have classic insurance on the car when it is in transit so I should be ok.

Anyone else deal with some good companies w/reasonable rates?
Anyone in the Atlanta area know someone with a trailer if I decided to have the car dropped off at a terminal?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
My guess is, when they pick the car up, it will be a local towing company that will do it. They will tow the car to a yard, then it will get loaded on a truck. They will transport the car to Atlanta where it will be put in another yard for a local towing company to bring it to your house.

If anything happens to your car, they are going to send you to your own insurance company for satisfaction. So I'd suggest you talk with your insurance company and make sure they are in agreement with such an arrangement.

Most of these companies do not have their own trucks. They are just the middle men. There are speciality auto transporters that do own their own trucks. You might look in Hemmings to find one that serves the NJ to Atlanta area.

I had a car shipped from California to Atlanta for $750. The transporter broke down twice and it took several weeks to get the car here. The car arrived safe, but it sure looked better in the pictures than in real life. Hope your deal goes better than mine.

And, I just happen to live in Snellville and I have a '98 F150 and a trailer rated at 7,000 pounds. I haul my '66 Fastback and my son's '66 Coupe often. If I can help out just let me know.

Good luck on your car,

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Darrell,

Thanks for the info.
The company I'm looking into using, DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers...), some other friends have used them w/o a problem. I also think they own all their trucks.
I do have an option to save $50-$100 if I get the Stang to a terminal in NJ and it is dropped off at a terminal in Jonesboro...how far are you from there and if I decided to do that, would it be possible for you help me get it from the terminal to Alpahretta? I am not too sure how far Alpharetta is fro Snellville...I only moved here from NY about 6months ago!

Either way, thanks for the offer and maybe we will meet up someday,

Mike

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Mike,

Jonesboro is way south of Atlanta, you are north, and I'm South East from where you are (out past Stone Mountain if you know where that is). You might ask them if they have a place on the north side to drop the car, being as how they will come in from the north.

But it does not matter. If you want to get together and get the car, just let me know when and I'll make plans. I'm sure my son would like to come along to see the car and help load and unload.

You can e-mail [email protected] me or call: 678 580-3121.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the offer. I just got pics of the torque boxes on the car and they are a lot worse them I expected. I am trying to decide if it is still worth it...a true '68 CJ 4spd FB...but we all know replacing trq boxes and costly and most of the time they are not the only things needing repair. I had them done on my last Fastback...

I'll keep ya posted,
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts