Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 coupe I want to do a little autocrossing with.

Anyone have a suggestion for wheels that won't fold or crack?
Probably going with 15"

·
Registered
271 Posts
Any wheel from a reputable vendor is fine. Start your search on summit racing.

·
Premium Member
5,429 Posts
You're not going to find many budget friendly sticky tires in 15". 17" is the sweet spot right now IMO. Soon it will 18" I recon. I run these, American Racing VN2157866 American Racing VN215 Gray Classic Torq-Thrust II One-Piece Wheels | Summit Racing, yea the most over used wheel of all time. They offer the maximum backset and should allow you to run 225/45/17 tires on all 4 corners without having to roll the fenders, I was able to. You might have to grind an 1/8" of excess metal flange from the very end of your upper controls arms to insure proper clearance but it's only a couple minute job with no safety concerns.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I was looking at some 15" Hoosiers
I'm using wheels from Vintage Wheel Works; I'm just a fan of the old style look. I actually have 16 wheels from VWW and have had no issues, so if you like the old style look I can recommend them. The Hoosiers too are great tires and while the choice of hot "street & track" tires is limited in the 15", you'll still find plenty of good tires and racing tires in 15", or at least enough.

Hoosier and Toyo (specifically the R888R) both have 15". I race with the Toyo R888R in 16" 245/45/16 Front and 255/50/16 Rear, fender lips have been removed. I'm not a Toyo fan, but it's vintage legal and 16" vintage legal tires are way fewer than the 15".

Best of luck,

·
Premium Member
5,429 Posts
Doing a little autocrossing with 15" Hoosiers? After the first post I went to the Hoosier website and didn't see any tires that would be legal in SCCA CamT, the class 99.9% of vintage Mustangs run in. CamT requires a 200 or greater tread wear tire. I've seen a lot of posts recently recommending 15" tires that can't be run in anything but an all out racing class like C production. @speedybill , could you post a link to the tire you are looking at?

Reactions: jonk67

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have that information sorry.

I guess I was hoping for some.

If I find anything I'll post it up.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have a 65 coupe I want to do a little autocrossing with.

Anyone have a suggestion for wheels that won't fold or crack?
Probably going with 15"
Running Aero steel rims on mine. They hold up fine on dirt and asphalt oval I can't see road race or auto cross being any tougher on them than those guys are. 8x15's are around $60-$70 each and weigh 19# or so, seem to be holding up fine so far. Track wheels are wear items so I try not to spend too much on them or get too attached to them.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Good 15" 200 TW tires are going to be rare, the only thing I found was Nitto NT-01 in a very short 23" diameter or Hankook RS-4 in 225/45ZR15 at 22.7", way too squat for my taste. I like the stance/ look of my car with 225/60/15 at 25.6" diameter but alas I have come to the conclusion that if I want a decent 225-245 profile tire choice for street and a track set I'll need to get 16" wheels.

As Nailbender stated you'll need to stay 200TW (UTQG) or higher for most CAM-T classes. You can find a few in 16" 225/50ZR16 ~24.7" - 24.9":
Potenza RE-71R (one of the top autoX tires TMK currently)

Hankook RS-4 (don't know if they warm up fast enough for autox, I have the RS-3 and they're good for opentrack but don't get hot enough not to slide on a 1 minute autox I found)

Kumho V730

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Running Aero steel rims on mine. They hold up fine on dirt and asphalt oval I can't see road race or auto cross being any tougher on them than those guys are. 8x15's are around $60-$70 each and weigh 19# or so, seem to be holding up fine so far. Track wheels are wear items so I try not to spend too much on them or get too attached to them.
Love the look of the AERO and Bassett D hole steelies but what 200 TW 15" tires have you found and in what size?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Love the look of the AERO and Bassett D hole steelies but what 200 TW 15" tires have you found and in what size?
Me, I "just want to have fun" so 15/10/27 usually F40's with a durometer rating in the 60-70 range. If I go racing for real, probably be on Hoosier TDR's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow!
Thankx for all the replies.

We have Poskes performance parts here with a Hoosier rep. I'll question him about any tires & sizes possible to use for my tang

·
Premium Member
5,429 Posts
Good 15" 200 TW tires are going to be rare, the only thing I found was Nitto NT-01 in a very short 23" diameter or Hankook RS-4 in 225/45ZR15 at 22.7", way too squat for my taste. I like the stance/ look of my car with 225/60/15 at 25.6" diameter but alas I have come to the conclusion that if I want a decent 225-245 profile tire choice for street and a track set I'll need to get 16" wheels.

As Nailbender stated you'll need to stay 200TW (UTQG) or higher for most CAM-T classes. You can find a few in 16" 225/50ZR16 ~24.7" - 24.9":
Potenza RE-71R (one of the top autoX tires TMK currently)

Hankook RS-4 (don't know if they warm up fast enough for autox, I have the RS-3 and they're good for opentrack but don't get hot enough not to slide on a 1 minute autox I found)

Kumho V730
15" 200 tread wear tires are going to be short because they are for Miata's. Actually, good luck finding any decent 200 tread wear tire other than very low on the totem pole Hankook or the worst Kumho's. I had to order some mediocre Falken RT660 tires last week from Tire rack to replace my no longer made Bridgestone RE17's. I will need them in July and hope they arrive in time. They may not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I'll rethink my choice of 15" tires.

Everyone keeps directing me to 16" or 17".

I appreciate all the input.

I'll have more questions soon. 😁

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
I guess I'll rethink my choice of 15" tires.
Everyone keeps directing me to 16" or 17".
I appreciate all the input.
I'll have more questions soon. 😁
After you look give us your needs - autocross only, opentrack, mix of street and autocross, etc. Your skill level or target level - novice, pro, just for fun non competitive, etc.

There are tires focused for each type of racing and skill level. What width ranges are you looking for? Would you pick a good 205 tire over a mediocre 245 tire? What diameter is acceptable to you, 24"-26"? etc. That will help narrow selection suggested. If you go 17" it is of course much larger choices, for me they just don't look right for the theme of my car so 16" will be my limit until they stop making them.

Nailbender 'hit the nail on the head', only 15" good autox / track tires are Miata sizes, I have 3 Miatas, 2 of which I drive novice in autox and opentrack/ HPDE, different tire brand/ tread design needs for each type of event. Then I have 340 TW street tires.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I would (and eventually will) go to 18”

1 - 16 of 16 Posts