Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some assist from some of you who are more knowlegeable than me on carb tags. I have come across a new Autolite 1100 in the original Autolite box. I have used my Pony carb information to attempt to decode it, but am falling short. Here's the tag code:

C8AF G

A 8P15

I am told the venturi measures with calipers 1.682mm.

The best I can decode is:
First line: 1968 (C8), full size Ford (A).
Second line: Design change A (A), 1968 (8), 15th day (15). I don't have a "P" in my code book.

As far as the venturi, this is confusing to me. The Autolite 1100s came with venturi sizes of 1.00, 1.10, and 1.20 inches.

Can someone explain or help in finding the proper vehicle for this carb?

Thanks!

Al

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
It's 1968 whatever it is.. It could be from a Truck or a Bronco. It's an IMCO carb.

I'll do some more checking.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
This website lists C8AF G with other Autolite 1100 carbs. See carb kit number CK13 towards the bottom of page. This carb number is not listed in Pony Carburetors' "Carburetor Guide book", so I cannot decode if it is an 1100 or IMCO as Tony says.
http://www.carburetor.ca/carbs/catalog/Ford/Ford6.htm

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reference. This site has a lot of information on it. Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me what vehicle(s) this goes on. I have emailed the site to see if they can assist, as well. I know that it doesn't go on a Mustang as that would have a Z instead of an A. The guy who has it bought it for his 65 Falcon Futura and the venturi was too big. So, we are curious as to what its application would be.

Another strange thing about this carb is that it contains a spark control valve. According to Pony carbs book, in 1968 the spark control valve was eliminated. Yet, this carb has it. This might indicate that although it was built in 1968, it is for a pre-1968 car. Any thoughts?

Al

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
All Autolite 1100 carbs from 1968 to 1969 were all IMCO carbs (Closed emmisions system). Any pre '68 Autolite 1100's were not (Open emissions system).

The '68/'69 IMCO carbs look identical, but are literally physically bigger than the previous pre'68 Autolite 1100 1 venturi NON-IMCO carbs. Certain parts ARE NOT interchangable. The later carbs have much bigger float bowls and chambers, BUT added emissions. The Later '68/'69 IMCO carbs also heavily suffer horribly from "COLD START" problems and flat spots, whereas, The '67 and earlier carbs do not, and are much, much more reliable.

If you have a 1968 and later six cylinder and want it to run the best, Put on a '67 and earlier NON-IMCO Autolite 1100 1v carb, and also a '67 and earlier NON-IMCO distributor (As the carb and distributor are matched together.) Chuck or sell off that IMCO distributor, or put it on the shelf or in the trunk. You car will run a million times better without it. Take my advice, unless you are going Concours, of course. That will pretty much rule out any emmissions junk, Cap off any vacuum lines, and you're good to go. You'll be haullin' the mail!!!!For sure!

Ford also infrequently used Carter YF-1's from 1968 to 1969, These also have bad "COLD START" issues as well.

By 1970, The Autolite 1100 IMCO 1v was no longer in use, Most six cylinder cars had the Carter YF-1's with some Holley 1v carbs also being used with the 200 and 250 cids..

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
All I could find was this:

Decoded:

C8AF G

C = 1960's
8 = eighth year (1968)
A = Ford (Generic car applications)
F = General Parts

G = Automatic Transmission

It looks to be a generic Autolite 1100 IMCO 1v meant for multiple applications, probably sold over the Ford Parts Counter. Even Kevin Marti's book doesn't list part number "C8AF G".

Tony K.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Assuming the caliper measurement was 1.682 INCHES (not mm) - I'd guess this was for the throttle bore?
If so, then from that and the c8af, I'd make this an Autolite 1101 for the big six 240cid. Venturi would be 1.29" if you can measure that.
Good "hot rod" carb for the 200cid in a light car, adds about 5rwhp per the old July 67 Hot Rod tests. Might be a tad big for the 170, soggy low end.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Tony or someone else, please help.
I have '67 Mustang with 200 engine (manual 3 speed trans) with Autolite 1100 carb, autochoke (which not working) and vacum hose to distributor. I have rebulild this carb, it is working, but not very good, when I drive car, engine sometimes little twitch and it is carb problem.
I have many times open carb, but problem still have.
So, what can be problem or may I put to this engine some better other carb and where can find it, because I not in US but in Europe. Can I upgrade to other carb, or where I can find new Autolite 1100 carb, please give also some link.
Thanks
Aldis

1 - 10 of 10 Posts