Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a 1968 302 4V J-Code coupe I've been restoring and am at the point of rebuilding the carburetor. I have a 1968 Ford service manual and after trying to find the Autolite 4100 4 barrel section, I discovered it is not listed in my service manual. The 4300 4 barrel is listed for that year, so I am wondering if the 4300 is what would have come on my car and not the 4100 which is what was on it when I bought it.
So the question is "What carburetor came on my car from the factory"?

Thanks in advance ~ Lenny B

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
Your car was born with an Autolite 4300. It upgraded later along the line to a much better 4100. Stay with it. Unless you are going true Concours.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
Yes, stay with the 4100 if you want to drive it. For factory resto, you are stuck with a 4300. In 68, they had improved the 4300 on a few points, but it still is an emissions/economy carb and not really geared for performance.
Post the number on the side of the toe on the carb. That will point us to what should be in that carb. Tags can get swapped, but if you have a carb tag, post that info too.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I had a 4300 on my 69 GT convert- 351W. Never ran very well and switched to a 4100 adjusted for the W. Runs great now and hope to see a big difference with the OD trans. The 4100 on my 64 has been there since Oct., 1990. It's one of the first done by Pony Carbs. 430,000+ miles later, still can get close to or over 20 mpg's on trips. And most of my trips are 5,000+ miles in a 3 week period, as well as running all over town.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If you stick with the 4100, and go with the inline fuel filter, makre sure you have the CORRECT fuel filter for the carburetor, not your year Mustang, speaking with experiance here.

My car is a 66, I bought a 65 Autolite 4100 for it. I initially bought the wrong inline fuel filter for my carb and thank God, I did not crank down on it and crack/damage, ruin the carbuerator/fuel filter connection on the carb.

65 had the fuel filter on the fuel pump, so the line going to the carb screws in directy to the carb. In 66, they installed the fuel filter inline on the carbuerator, and the connection of the inline fuel filter on the carbuerator is different than the 65. To confuse the situation even more, I have been told, that Ford did install 65 carbs on 66 cars, but created a specific part number fuel filter, to fit the 65 carb inline fuel filter connection for the 66 model year car

For my application, I had to installed the 66 style inline fuel filter that is made to fit the 65 carb, Motorcraft p/n FG15.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts