Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Love the look of these older batteries. That said, it would be great if they could tell you that you need to purchase battery post extenders ($15) and a different hold down bracket (plastic aftermarket) in order for it to work properly...... Just sayin. It reminds me of when I purchased a $300 Magma Grill for my boat, and the "mounting hardware kit" was another $50. After getting the mounting hardware kit, I noticed that mounting hardware (stainless nuts & bolts) were not included.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I can identify...I was ordering a fan shroud this morning by phone. I "accideanally" asked if the mounting bracket/bolts were included and the nonchalant answer was no. Nothingwas said either way in the description. I wish all the vendors would make things like this a part of the pricing. I don't care so much about the prices, but don't want to place a new order for the "extra" with more S/H, etc.

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
I can identify...I was ordering a fan shroud this morning by phone. I "accideanally" asked if the mounting bracket/bolts were included and the nonchalant answer was no. Nothingwas said either way in the description. I wish all the vendors would make things like this a part of the pricing. I don't care so much about the prices, but don't want to place a new order for the "extra" with more S/H, etc.
Vendors can't win this discussion. People who were replacing a beat-up old shroud would complain they were forced to buy hardware they didn't need. The best thing is a sales rep who asks 'do you need the hardware kit?', or an ordering page that suggests a new hardware kit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The best thing is a sales rep who asks 'do you need the hardware kit?', or an ordering page that suggests a new hardware kit.
Sorry, I wasn't clear there. Your points were well taken. As always, I had shopped elsewhere and most of them made it clear that brackets/bolts must be ordered separately. Then, when I ordered by phone, nothing was mentioned (asked) about my "needs". It's just basic, good business communication and showing an interest in their customers. No big deal, actually. Worst case scenario, I could have fabricated my own. ;)

·
Registered
759 Posts
There's also the thought that not everyone needs to do what you did to get it to work. I have a flat top maintenance free battery with the proper terminal location and side clamp for my '66 (BF-24 from Tire Kingdom) and my Autolight cover fits snuggly on top and there's no need for extenders or a different hold down. Maybe, just maybe, it's the battery you are installing it on?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I also have an Autolite 24F battery flat top maintenance free with to top terminals and proper base for mouting. The Autolite top with nothing added would be just fine!

Hey if I buy a new front fender does it come with mounting bolts? LOL. sorry for the sarcasm!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can still get the clamps on, but the posts are claerly too short.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Ah hah! Good point!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stupid me...... Hole saw the post openings for the battery terminal collar.... Ta Daaa (TA DUH!)

·
Registered
35,874 Posts
I have used a number of these on Exide batteries, and aside from not being able to use felts under the clamps, no problem. I did have to round file the holes a bit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
so before I return my cover, you have to elongate the holes in the cover to fit the battery posts correctly?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts