Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm going to be running a toploader behind my 351. The engine was origonally an automatic. I hav'nt inspected the end of the crank, but do ya'll think that anything will need to be done back there? Thanks alot!

Max Kern

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
You need to install a pilot bushing

G

·
Did the same swap on my 72

Cranks are the same...but the bolts that hold the auto-flywheel are not long enough for a 4-spd flywheel. Easy to find at any car / hi-po shop ... just get the right one because these need to be the strongest grade possible...there is a lot of force on those few little bolts.

Other weird things I ran into - some obvious, some not:
crossmember - different for toploader
speedo cable - different for toploader - longer and exits pass side instead of drivers side
drive shaft - a 4 speed shaft was fatter stock, so it used a different yoke on the rear end. I had a 9" to begin with, but I needed to get a special u-joint to make it fit.
firewal seal - clutch linkage exits the firewall right next to the steering column - and there is a rubber seal there to keep out the elements...good to have if you can get it

thats about all I remember...

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Make sure your block is drilled for an equilizer bar pivot.... After 1981, none of the 351W blocks were drilled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts