Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guy's I need some feedback.I have a 67 GT convertible thats all original with a 3 speed manual.I want to sell it and most everyone is saying change it to an automatic.The car is Frost Tourqoise with Aqua int.pwer disc brakes and power steering.It's 289 A code and 3 speed manual.I feel I should leave the car original but my friends say that it being manual kills it.Look at it on Photobucket.com and put in my user ID of jh65sh to view pic's.Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.You can contact me here or at my email [email protected]. Thanks,Jim

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I don't get it, kills what? I betcha that the majority of car people would rather have the manual, I know I sure would. Regardless, who cares what your friends say anyway, is their name on the title? ;)

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
OMG, a vert manual? I would kill for one.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Keep it a manual. There is no way I'd ever consider owning an automatic. Maybe it's my background coming from the UK, but I feel you have so much more control over a manual car than a squirt and go automatic.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Definitely not...ignore your friends on this one. I don't get their comments, either.

Some prefer an auto, and some (well, probably the majority) prefer a manual in such a car...I see nothing that would warrant such a costly change.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Sorry, photobucket needs more than just a user ID to view the pics. Anyway, I too agree with Monkeystash, what kills?? What do you prefer and why not drop a 5speed into it, or an auto? Doing a clean mod isn't like it can't be reversed for the next owner, just keep the original parts. If you're worried about originality, put in a period correct C4. If it were a Shelby or FE, then you might want to keep it stock, but a 289 gt? I wouldn't sweat it, these cars were meant to be enjoyed...post some pics so we can see it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm with everyone else on this. Keep it a stick.
3 pedals are always better than 2.
John

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I would leave it as a stick but would change it to a 5 speed. If your friends don't like it tell them to buy what they want and drive it.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
jim hamrac said:
Ok guy's I need some feedback.I have a 67 GT convertible thats all original with a 3 speed manual.I want to sell it and most everyone is saying change it to an automatic.
So, is this a for sale ad? LOL

Hmm...GT convertible....modify or leave original for maximizing sale profits?

Hmmm...

Leave original? Yep...

Next car... :)

Pat

·
Registered
327 Posts
Easier, cheaper, and wiser to leave the 3 spd and get new friends!

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
monkeystash said:
I don't get it, kills what? I betcha that the majority of car people would rather have the manual, I know I sure would. Regardless, who cares what your friends say anyway, is their name on the title? ;)
Leave it a manual trans, I would rather have a manual then an auto.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
While in some cases it may be better that the car is original, like if you have the original transmission or the car is a rare car and collectible car; in this case I believe that the manual transmission will actually help you sell the car faster and for more money.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Who are these friends that say stick kills it? Notice my '68 vert is similarly
equipped except it's automatic and obviously not a GT. Few of my car friends would
prefer automatic.
I'm partially crippled with severe arthritis so need automatic. Before being in
this condition I always preferred manual.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
6t9mach1 said:
While in some cases it may be better that the car is original, like if you have the original transmission or the car is a rare car and collectible car; in this case I believe that the manual transmission will actually help you sell the car faster and for more money.
I dont think that I understood what was said originally. If this car is an original 3-speed manual car why the heck would you change it to an automatic. :loco:

·
Registered
436 Posts
To be honest, if you are selling the car leave it as is. I have to disagree with many of my peers on the forum however. The automatic trans is king in America... period. If I were considering laying down some money for another Mustang that 3-speed would be the least desirable trans for me, I would rather have a 4-speed if I just HAD to have a manual car but an auto would be may first choice. I found an interesting site (K.A.R. Auto group) they discuss Mustang values based on options...

http://www.karmustang.com/top_10_mustangs.php

Check out the 67-68 groups.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The 3-speed is far and away the least desirable transmission to have. It does hurt the value of the car.

I think a 4-speed vs. an automatic is a wash in value. And a 5-speed is worth more than a 4-speed.

If you are truly considering changing the transmission then a 5-speed would be the best bang for the buck.

All that being said, if you change the tranny don't expect to get your money back out of it.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
You've noticed VMF people have widely varying opinions/advice.

My observation is the Vintage forum is weighted towards performance and mods to
improve performance.

When selling a car you need to make an educated guess on saleibility of your car.
Bang for the buck. If I was the buyer I lean heavily toward a bone stock original.
If I want changes I prefer to do them or have them done, then I know what I have!

That said, in my opinion a 3 speed manual is about equal to an automatic.
4 speed manual would be worth a few thousand more. The advantage to the three
speed over the automatic would be seemingly easier to convert to a 4 or 5 speed.
In my opinion if you did any conversion you probably wouldn't get your money
back in selling the car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts