Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in one of my Facebook groups I’ve been pointed to a private individual who makes shifter locks for classic Mustangs.

I understand there are 88 ways to Sunday to steal our cars. But this looks like a reasonable deterrent for passerby, amateur joyrider would be thieves.

Question is, does anybody know how hard it is to do these yourself?

Looks like he modifies an existing new handle with a lock.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I've seen those years ago, and mentioned once on here. I would like one or three !

·
Registered
35,475 Posts
Probably the most effective anti-theft device out there is the Z-lok. Prevents access to the engine compartment and functions as a kill switch. Works for both manual and automatic transmissions. WON'T prevent someone from hooking on with a Stinger and hauling your car away....

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
hood lock and simple toggle switch from Coil (-) to ground

hood lock dont have to be fancy. eye hook in one of the hood holes, chain around the rad support, master lock

back in the day when it was a DD and i had to leave it for any length of time esp at night while in a club id lock the hood, unhook the battery and pull the rotor

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
So in one of my Facebook groups I’ve been pointed to a private individual who makes shifter locks for classic Mustangs.

I understand there are 88 ways to Sunday to steal our cars. But this looks like a reasonable deterrent for passerby, amateur joyrider would be thieves.

Question is, does anybody know how hard it is to do these yourself?

Looks like he modifies an existing new handle with a lock.
I think the original version I saw of these had anti-theft hardware to hold the lock in the t-handle. This one might be a regular allen set screw(?).
That would be a weakness if true.

My anti-theft switch is under the locked hood of my '68. (1968 LTD latch & padlock) About impossible to open without the key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts