Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a few had their mustang converted over to a T5 manual, but not heard much about the steps on converting over to a manual from an automatic. I'm a bit confused on type of T5 to purchase and what year...along with the bell housing. I know on a toploader the stock bell housing will work with an adapter plate, so if I had to purchase a bell housing since I'm converting over from an automatic, I would just get the latest bell housing with the T5?

I noticed that Jegs has a Tremec T5 from a 95 cobra R along with the special bell housing...will this combo work well, or is there somethign I'm missing. Any help would be greatly helpful because I'm wondering if I'm getting myself into a lot of work...or I should just stay with my c4 and keep it simple.

·
Registered
764 Posts
There are a lot of us who have converted from auto to an over drive manual. I went from an FMX to a T5. What year, model, engine, tranny combo will you be converting from?

Assuming a small block, it would be easier to go with a T5 from an 87 - 93 5.0 and grab the bellhousing, block plate and clutch fork while you are at it.

Here are a couple of sites to read up on the subject. If you have specific questions, ask, and I'll help as much as I can:

Modern Driveline
http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/tech_alley.htm

Ford Muscle Web
http://66.96.130.106/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index.shtml

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a 69 302 motor on a 68 fastback.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since I don't know where to get a T5 and not sure to trust getting an old one, I'm thinking of buying new. So would the current world class T5 be usually be a 93 if bought new from establishments such as Jegs?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim, thanks for the help. It seems like a lot of work. I currently have a edelbrock 302 performer RPM setup. The car is approx 367hp with 340lbs and was thinking that a T5 would help utilize the power better. Maybe I should just stick with my c4.

·
Registered
764 Posts
It is a lot of work. I went with a rebuilt T5-z, which I bought for $550 and still had $2k in my FMX to T5-Z swap (with me doing all the work). It was well worth it to me, as I LOVE shifting gears. But, if your goal is to go fast, a built C4 is hard to beat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts