Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 64 1/2 coupe with an automatic tranmission. I have found that using the 'white dot' position allows access to all three gears, while the 'green dot' position limits it two. This is the opposite of how it listed in the manuals. Did Ford change the shift order in earlier or later versions of the C4? I have not checked the transmission date codes yet, but the vast majority of the car is original. Any help in solving this mystery is appreciated. Thanks.

Alan

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
When in green dot and it's only accessing 2 gears, is that 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 3rd? If it's 1st and 2nd, then maybe a previous owner put in a later model C4 with a standard shift pattern, and green dot is really 2 while white dot is really drive?

In a normal green-dot tranny, green dot accesses all 3 gears while white dot skips 1st and only uses 2nd and 3rd.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems to be second and third. Low works just as it should. I searching other posts, I see that starting in 1967 the C4 went to the shift order now common. I beginning to think I have one of those.

Alan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts