Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a classic Mustang around my area, and I want one with a manual transmission. But every pony I've seen around here for sale is an automatic. Does anyone know the feasibility and cost of changing from an automatic to manual shifter? I know I'll probably have to do the work myself, so if anyone else has gone through it and thinks it's a bad idea, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It's not a bad idea. I did the exact swap 'bout a year ago. All you need is to get all of the stuff (tranny, clutch, bellhousing, pedals, all the linkage) and swap it. It really isn't that difficult.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yeah, it's not that hard if you can get the parts... I'm doing it to my 68 coupe right now.

Thespazardman

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to swap my '68 BACK to a 3 speed manual...

·
Registered
923 Posts
If the car has power brakes, it gets much more expensive. The booster is in the way of the clutch pedal pushrod. At least in the 65-66. SOOOO! to keep cost down make sure the car doesn't have power brakes.

My son got me into this and I'm having a ball
65 fastback, 289, 3 speed, Holly 1850, Edelbrock intake. SSB front disks in a box, Canadian Mustang "real big kit" suspension in alot of boxes,
Right now lots of boxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am trying to do the same thing but only vica versa!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts