Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
About 2.5 million for a good P-51 these days. We don't do rides in our P-51s, just the occasional airshow.
Well, I was going to guess around 2.0M I guess they are only going to go up in value as time passes. I shudder to think the maintenance costs/hr on a machine like that. Doing my licences yrs ago I had the good fortune to own a couple of single engine Pipers (one at a time of course and then sold--worked out cheaper than renting at the time) and maintenance was not cheap then.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I wish I owned the P-51. I just have the good fortune of being able to fly it.
Is that where you got your nickname from...the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine that powered the P-51?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Engine overhaul is $180k every 1,000 hours. Top end is $50k at 500 hours. Annual inspections run ~$15k. Fuel Burn is 72 gallons per hour at cruise at $5.50 per gallon. Oil change every 50 hours, 20 gallons at $15 per gallon. That breaks down to about $1,300 per hour to operate.

We do all our maintenance in-house, along with engine overhauls and manufacturing replacement parts (FAA approved). So our actual expenses are lower, but the numbers are still staggering...

·
Registered
5,737 Posts

Thanks for posting that picture of FIFI. My father was a B-29 navigator in the pacific in 1945.

Id love if somebody in the midwest/Kansas could pose their car with Doc.

Paul

·
Registered
700 Posts
Engine overhaul is $180k every 1,000 hours. Top end is $50k at 500 hours. Annual inspections run ~$15k. Fuel Burn is 72 gallons per hour at cruise at $5.50 per gallon. Oil change every 50 hours, 20 gallons at $15 per gallon. That breaks down to about $1,300 per hour to operate.

We do all our maintenance in-house, along with engine overhauls and manufacturing replacement parts (FAA approved). So our actual expenses are lower, but the numbers are still staggering...
I'm really surprised its only $1300 an hour to operate. For a private entity, that's not cheap though. I'm a Navy pilot and I've seen the flight hour costs for various platforms and they can be much, much more.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts

Dang that's quite expensive. The show I was at the owners were offering plane rides on the B-29, B-25, I believe the P-51 and a few other planes. Most were around the $450 range for about 30-45 minutes of flying. I thought that was quite a bit of money at the time for less than an hour of flight time but now looking at it, unless they have multiple civilian riders in the bombers, it seems like they're almost losing money or barely breaking even. I was hoping they would have a B-17 there, my grandmother was actually one of the original "Rosie the riveter's" and we went on a tour with her as kids down at the Boeing flight museum in south Seattle. Memphis Belle is one of my favorite WWII movies and really enjoyed the book Unbroken.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone interested in old warbirds should check out the Collings Foundation. They tour the country every spring/summer and offer rides for a fee. I have flown backseat in their dual control P-51 "Betty Jane", and have also flown in their B-17. Loops and barrel rolls in a P-51 can't be beat.

Tour schedule and location on their website at collingsfoundation.org

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Anyone interested in old warbirds should check out the Collings Foundation. They tour the country every spring/summer and offer rides for a fee. I have flown backseat in their dual control P-51 "Betty Jane", and have also flown in their B-17. Loops and barrel rolls in a P-51 can't be beat.

Tour schedule and location on their website at collingsfoundation.org
What a coincidence? They are actually going to be near my area this week. Unfortunately flights are kinda out of my fun budget at this time.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts