Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new owner of a '67 convertible. It's in the shop now getting painted, but when I get it back, new wheels and tires are on the "to do" list. I really want to go with Chrome Magnum wheels with blue center caps and BF Goodrich T/A tires. What are my wheel and tire size choices? I was told that a stock '67 can at maximum only handle 15/7 wheels with P225/50R15 T/A's (clearance issues, etc). But I can't seem to find BF T/A's in a 50 (at least not as a P225/R15). Is this just not an option for me? Or can a '67 actually handle a 15/8? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'd start with dodgestang's wheel charts. www.dodgestang.com

You should be able to go bigger than that in the rear, I'd think, but the charts will tell you what other people are running, what suspension setup they've got, whether they had to roll the fenders, etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sokoloff.
Based on the chart, it looks like the rear can handle 15/7 with a T/A's P235/60R15 (as you said). It indicates that this set up will work with "Stock Drum". Does that mean if I eventually upgrade to disk brakes they won't fit anymore?

Also, it looks maybe I can get away with 15/7's and T/A's P225 /60R15's (rather than 235) on all four tires. But I'm not certain. Does anyone out there have such a set up?

BTW: what's "Fender Rolled" mean?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
a stock fender has the edge bent in at about 90 degrees like a backwards L . Rolling the fender means bending this edge up until it has the shape of a U. This gives you a little more room to fit a wider tire.

Z.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I've got a '67 coupe, far as I know the fenders should be the same for the conv.
What is the backspacing of the rims you're looking at?

I used the Dodgestang chart and it said 225/60/15 would work with 3.75" bs.
I bought AR TT D's 15X7 with 3.75" bs and 225/60/15 on all 4 and all 4 tires rubbed the fender lip right at the bulge of the tire (my car is lowered and the tire tread sits level with the fender lip ~24.5" off the ground).
I had to roll my fenders and now they clear. I think if I would have gone with 215 they may have cleared without rolling.
Start with your backspacing and go from there. I wanted to be able to rotate at these are my street tires, I'll get wider tires to swap on the rear for any racing and the size of those will be based on the bs of the rims that I use.
Jon

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Specs show a backspace of 4 5/8 inches. So I'm figuring I can get away with styled steel 15/7's and BF Goodrich T/A P225/60R15. Sounds like the 235's might be a bit too much, size-wise. Also, the car currently has 14/8's with 205/70/14 tires. So if it can currently handle a 70 on an 8 rim, then I'd think it could handle a 60 on a 7 rim. Since you had 225's with a 3.75" BS and a fender roll, then I think I can fit 225's with a 4 5/8" BS and no fender role. Agreed?

The seller also tells me that these rims will accomodate a disk break upgrade, which I'm considering doing too. So if all the assumptions above are correct, I'm hoping I'm good (though if anyone sees any problems, definitely let me know).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts