Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody that has ever color sanded a new paint job by hand knows what a PITA job it is. Even when you're quick it still takes at least a full day to do the job right. Up to now that's just what I've always had to do.

Wow, from the advise from someone that knows, I bought a pack of 3M finishing film discs and the special soft pad for my DA sander and in less then 2 hours this baby is done, honest! Yes, I'm going to run over it with 1500 wet before I buff, but that will be very easily done now that the big flat panels are flat and any orange peel is already gone.

I guess old dogs CAN learn new tricks........... *G*.

G

·
0 Posts
I gotta check that out! with Carpal Tunnel it's gonna take all summer to do my drag car.

G

·
0 Posts
Yep.... that's the only way to fly. A buddy of mine that owns a body shop has been using that stuff for the past 2-3 years and it makes it a snap to color sand a car and does a more thorough job that wet sanding.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Did you use water during the process? Did the film clog up very bad?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I called the local O'Reilley folks and they dont know anything about it. What is the numbers for the film and the pad? Thanks in advance for the info...

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ray, I was suprised, the paper didn't clog right up like you would think. It does fill up though eventialy. I used maybe 15 discs on the whole car and could have done it with less but I bought a 100 pak so I wasn't trying to conserve. It works dry.

I'm not at the shop at the moment so I don't remember the part numbers. I know the film I bought was 1000 grit, which for some reason does not seem to mean 1000 grit as in sandpaper. This would be closer to 1500 grit in wet/dry sandpaper, at least by the way it cuts and the size of sand scratches it leaves. I only did the flat panels and did go over it with 1500 wet to get the edges. They sell this stuff in finer grits also and next time I'll likely go with 1500 now that I know how good it works just to save some rubbing.........

I can PM you the part numbers later when I get to the shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts