Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
In my experience, your chances are better than average. Especially if you turn the drum around and use it as a poor-man's slide hammer. I've done this probably 8 or 10 times in my life, and only once have I had to resort to the serious slide hammer. Which was something like a $10 rental at the local parts store, so don't feel like it's another tool you need to buy.

Good luck,
MrFreeze

·
Registered
12,305 Posts
I think I stuck a long rod or something through the back and smacked the back of the axle flange and it popped.

·
Registered
749 Posts
You're not supposed to need a puller at all by design.

That said...one side on mine comes out easy...the other one requires a puller and anger.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
JohnnyK said:
I think I stuck a long rod or something through the back and smacked the back of the axle flange and it popped.
I did this also, removed the wheel cylinder and used an old king pin as a driver thru the mounting hole. Only took a few whacks and it slid loose.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Pullers can be rented and some parts houses will let you borrow them. I bought one to use on my 8" and my son's 9". It was super easy. The axles popped right out (except for the one on the driver's side of my 8").

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Very simple...put the wheel (with or without tire) back on the axle loosely (couple of turns on the lug nuts) and grab the wheel/tire and give it a couple of whacks...IOW, use the wheel as the slide

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Don't know if your pulling the center section out or not. If you are what I do is take the nuts off that hold the center section. Get a pry bar and pop the center section loose (yes the gease will come out) and wiggle it all around. Then try to pull the axles out. For me they come out easy every time I have done this.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Spin drum around, put lug nuts on 25-30%, and voila....a puller. Works well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts