Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the axles on my 70 mach 1 and found I have 2 different bearings. One is a Federal RW207 and the other is a Ford F-207A. One bearing has a collar on it and the other one doesn't. I need to by new bearings and thought they would be the same. Am I missing something here?
Thanks
Ken
http://

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
One is a replacement bearing (RW207). What are you referring to by collar? Each side should have a lockring (at least that's what we used to call them) pressed right up against the bearing, and then the 31 sline axle cars got another sleeve next to the lockring and the seal rides on that. The lockring is actually what keeps the bearing on, I know it's press fit but it doesn't take much force to remove that bearing once the ring is gone (it will probably still take a press), it's a dangerous situation without that installed, the axle could work it's way out. If you buy new bearings they will (or should) come with a new ring. Don't buy made in China bearings, American or Japanese are good. RW207CCRA used to be the full Federal Mogul number.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the RW207 is a Federal Bearing. I'll go to BRC Bearings here in town for the new ones.
Thanks
Ken

1 - 3 of 3 Posts