Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the part of the axle the bearing presses onto is the same diameter on a big Ford bearing and a smaller one. If I get a housing that takes the big bearing, can I use my old small bearing axles (with a new bearing) until I can afford to have a set made (or they break)? I know the axles need to be the correct lenght and spline, but will what they call the big Ford bearing fit on an axle that came out of a rear with smaller bearings.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Interesting conundrum...

I'll assume you have 28 spline small bearing axles. I think I've seen some 28 spline station wagon housings with big bearings but my memory is a bit fuzzy at this hour..*G*

If bearings aren't available, my solution would be to make bearing sleeves to press into the housing to adapt it to the smaller OD bearings. A similar adapter would likely be necessary for the seal.

If you like, and no one else has given you better info, I can measure some small bearing axles and one of my big bearing adapters from my housing narrowing days and peruse the bearing book tomorrow...

Let me know...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Housing narrowing is what I was going to try. My Falcons 9" is a little wide and I want to shorten it. I have a 9" housing I took apart. I also have an 8" housing out of a 70's Ranchero with the large tubes and bearing ends (I can put on larger brakes, etc). All the atachment stuff was removed by the PO so I should be able to remove the tubes and insert them in the 9" housing. The spring perches could be installed with the correct pinion angle meaning my earlier post for angle shims would be moot. I do these things without a machine shop so the bearing shim is out of the question,although a great idea. If I could do it. My objective is to do this without spending cash, If it works than I can invest in the parts I need to finish it correctly. And I will have a jig made to do it again if need be. I wish Granadas and Maverick (V8 kind ) still existed around here. All rusted out, ground up and in other products by now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts