Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working in my spare time to get my 67 289 auto back on the road. In my test driving I notice it bogs down on right turns. I started looking into the axle when someone brought something up that disturbed me.

A shop (that is no longer ins business) worked on the axle several years ago. I was asked "do you think those guys swapped out your axle?" The shop did not have a good reputation and they built race cars on the side.

My question is; would it be likely for a shop to basically steal the factory axle and swap it out with something lower-end? How can I check? I do not have a door tag unfortunately.

Thanks for any input while I continue to research this.

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
What WORK did they do on the axle? It's unlikely that they could have done anything to cause it to "bog down" strictly going to the right. What would cause it to "drag" in a turn (lack of movement of the differential pinions) would be evident in BOTH directions. Something else, like a dragging brake would cause a consistent pull.

If it's your original rear axle there should be a tin tag attached under a carrier nut that ID's it.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
67 289 Auto most likely has an 8 inch with the 2.79 ratio. Absolutely not a 'desirable' axle. This would be Axle code 0 (Zero) on the door tag. Listen to Woodchuck. Right sweeping turns? Right turns from a stop? Explain 'bogs down' in greater detail. More info required.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't gotten to test drive it much lately. I have a right turn up a hill at a 4 way stop as I leave my house. Every time, right as I'm straightening the wheel and hitting the gas after the turn it hangs up and almost dies but always recovers.

It does also bog down after coasting down hill right when i hit the gas to get up the next hill. This is probably the same issue, and the axle isn't the culprit (for this post i am mainly trying to figure out if i have my original axle)

The rear brakes are making noise i havent checked out yet.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Sounds carb related. What carb are you running?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I remember the shop had the axle out to paint, install new suspension and reseal.

I do believe the bog down is carb related. Running a Holley 4160. I don't have the kickdown hooked up yet. I just wanted to check the axle off the list.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts