Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of rebuilding the brakes on my 68 i6. While doing the rear brakes I decided to take the axles out and remove the backing plate so that I could clean them up and paint them and also weld the areas where the brake pads wore into the plate. I am putting the right side axle in the housing and the bearing doesn’t seat flush with the end of the housing. I tried to work it in with the plate that holds it in but it just bent the plate. What am I doing wrong. I know it is the right side axle because I only did one side at a time. I’m lost as to what to do.

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Put the car in neutral, turn the driveshaft just a little one way or the other while turning the axle a little and when level and square, pushing it in. Should help it seat.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just tried that and when I turn the driveshaft the axle turns as well. The bearing is only sticking out about an 1/8 of an inch. I had read that you need to install the longer axle first then the other. Is this true? I pulled the other side out a little( not sure which one is longer) and I still can’t get this one in. the bearing slides right into the housing and just stops, like it’s hitting something. Is it possible that when pulling the axle the bearing slid out a little? ?‍♂

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, I’m an idiot! I figured out what I was doing wrong. Sorry to waste your time?‍♂

·
Registered
383 Posts
Does not matter which axle goes in first.

The little support pads on the backing plates that the brake shoes rest against get grooves worn into them because people do not lube them before they install the shoes. Once there are grooves in those support pads the metal edge of the shoe wants to get stuck in there. I had to weld up some backing plates on a '65 Ranchero for that reason. In the old days we used white lithium brake grease because it stays put and can take some heat. But there is much better stuff now. Use the synthetic disc brake caliper slide grease. Just a little smear of it across those little support pads. You don't want too much on there or it will get on your brake lining, just a little bit. Before you stick the drum on verify the adjuster works by stretching the cable with your thumb. Then grab the bottom of both shoes and shake them back and forth to make sure everything is hooked in solid. . They should slide nicely against the backing plate. Do not stretch springs with anything that will leave a mark in them or the spring will break in that spot. Replace all of the springs a minimum of every ten year's because they start breaking around that time. Get a pair of brake spring plyers. You can flip the top springs on and off easily For the bottom spring stick in first by hand with out the adjuster. The stretch the shoes apart and drop the adjuster in. That way no tool is needed.

Here is a backing plate groove video on a Chebby, encase you don't know what we are talking about. This guy's nubs wore completely away so he had to replace the backing plates. On my Ranchero they were still there they just had a big groove running through them so all I had to do was fill in the groove with weld and grind it back down even with the original support pad. I was able to do them on the car without removing them. They are supposed to be lubed!

This is what I use. A bottle will last you 100 lifetime's.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. I got the brakes together on the drivers side just waiting on the parking brake cable for the passenger side. My backing plates looked like you described yours. I just put a little bead of weld there and ground it flush like you said. Got them painted and about ready to wrap it and and bread the brake lines.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Wow, I’m an idiot! I figured out what I was doing wrong. Sorry to waste your time?‍♂
Inquiring minds want to know - what did you do to get it to sit flush?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The bearing does not sit flush with the end of the axle, it sticks out the thickness of the brake backing plate.....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s embarrassing, I forgot to put the backing plate on before I put the axle in. Such a simple step, but it certainly had me confused for a little.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It’s embarrassing, I forgot to put the backing plate on before I put the axle in. Such a simple step, but it certainly had me confused for a little.
We've all been there......well at least I have!

·
Registered
746 Posts
That makes sense...if I tried to list out all of the obvious things that threw me for a loop, I'd run out of space. I was more wanting to make sure you didn't do something to get it totally flush, because that would have actually been a bigger problem! Congrats on fixing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts