Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here we go again. When I bought my Shelby 5 years ago, the right real axle seal was leaking. Since I was intending to do a resto, I let it go untill then. During the restoration, I replaced both real seal and bearing. Last year, the left rear axle seal began to leak so I replaced it. Well guess what, it's leaking again! Am I doing something wrong? Man, this car seems to test me at every turn. The seal fits snuggley around the collar on the axle shaft and does not appear to be worn or torn. Any suggestions from the "all knowing" VMF?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
When I did mine, I was advised to put a thin coat of permatex around the outer edge of the seal before seating it. Did you do this?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
As you already learned, generally if you need to replace one side, the other is not far behind...

Having said that, why did your new seal give out so soon? There are a few possibilities that come to mind:

1) Plugged axle vent tube. This is near the rear brake flex line/junction block. No venting puts extra pressure on the axle seals.

2) Dry install. You did lubricate the seals prior to install, didn't you?

3) Bent axle?

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Make sure you support the axle so it's centered in the seal when you put it back in. Letting the axle rest on the seal while you slide it in can ruin it. And use Timken seals!

Robert

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
What others said plus. After 150000 miles one of my axles had a very small grove where the seal sat. For several years I was able to keep the seal from leaking by not fully seating the seal in the axle tube. Now the grove has expanded and I am going to have to replace the axle.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Look for a parts store or distributor for CR brand of seals. They sell a sleeve and seal kit. These consist of a thin metal sleeve that slides over the groove worn in your axle and a new seal. I don't know if they are available for all applications so check first. They are very easy to install and are far less expensive than replacement axles, bearings and seals would be.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Thanks, I'll check.

BTW what prevents the grease from coming out between the sleeve and the axle? Are they glued or pressed on?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
use of a Crazy glue like substance
Sounds logical. Did the seal with the sleeve last for a long time?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The seal fits snuggley around the collar on the axle shaft

Are you saying it fits around the collar?

I have to admit Ive never looked, but I dont think it's supposed to ride on anything but the surface of the axle itself.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If someone was careless when removing the seal they may have gouged the housing where the seal sits. This gouge will allow axle grease to leak out between the seal and the housing (this happened to me on a truck). You have to smooth out any sharp edges on the gouge and then use Permatex on the OUTSIDE of the seal to stop this kind of leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts