Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
bnichols04 said:
is the axle tube diameter 3"? it is out of a 68 Mustang. Was there more than 1 diameter on the 8" axles?
No. The '68 axle housing tube diameter is 2¾".

The '65/'66 Mustang axle housing tube diameter (in the area where the U-bolts attach) is right at 2-3/8".

'57-'59 Ford big car, Ranchero/station wagon 9-inch rear tube diameter is 3".

'77-'80 Lincoln Versailles (and '75-'80 Granada/Monarch) 9-inch disc brake housing tubes are 3".

75-'80 8-inch rear end tube diameter is 2¾"

75-'80 Granada/Monarch 9-inch drum brake rear end housing tubes are 2¾.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Wow, seriously? The u-bolts that LMM gave me for my suspension install are 2 7/8, or 3".. I think maybe 2 7/8", but they are still too big for my 8.8 housing.. I imagine they would be swimming on my 68 8" then!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Johnny K.,

I found for the Fox swap that I needed 2-7/8" U-bolts. I see a lot of guys use the 3", but like you found, that is too loose. Your local Napa should have the correct U-bolts if you can use a 7/16" diameter bolt, or a spring shop can fab up a set of 1/2" diameter bolts real quick for you.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Well they might be 2 7/8, but they still seem pretty loose? What did you do about the spring/shock plates? Just kind of bend the springs together and stick them through? Is 7/16 a bad idea?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is what i had to do. I have the 8" out of a 68 and installed in my 65 but the shock plate was for a 65 and the lowering blocks w/ u bolts were for a 68 so i had to squeeze the bolts together to get them to fit through the shock plate.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm running Caltracs which have their own slotted plate, so the bolts worked fine, with grade 8 washers. My experience is that 7/16" is good for around 300lbs/ft torque when installed properly. Above that, I'd suggest 1/2".
YMMV

edit****
If your U-bolts were supplied by a Mustang shop, they are not correct for the Fox rear end. I went through this with Cobra Automotive :thumbsdown: Those guys can not think outside the box. Finally went to Napa and got what I needed.

·
Registered
12,050 Posts
Well what I find funny is my U-bolts came from Laurel mountain.. in a standard suspension kit (Nobody knew I was planning an 8.8. Not even me), yet the u-bolts they gave me seem to be about 2-7/8.. But you guys are saying for a 67-68, I should have 2 3/4? So does this mean they gave me the wrong ones (But they might end up actually working for the 8.8, but WOULDN'T work for an 8" like they thought I should have?).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Which shock plate to use

I am new to vintage Mustangs and just purchased a 1965 coupe. I appear to have a similar situation where the axle appears to be 2 3/4". The previous owner bent the U bolt to fit into the smaller spacing of the shock plate (appears to be 2 3/8"). I plan to replace the leaf springs and U bolts. Should I use a 1968 shock plate to match the dimensions or bend the new U bolts. If I went to the 1968 shock plate, would that impact the shocks or leaf spring I should get?

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts