Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain what the function is of the axle vent hose that hooks up to the rear axle? The hose on mine is cut, and I plan on replacing it, but I do not understand its function.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The axle has to be allowed to vent. The hose just keeps it from leaking all over.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Pressure would build inside as the rear heated up. This would cause diff oil to leak out any possible spot such as axle seals, etc. Vent helps to keep pressure equalized.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Also the hose anchored in the frame reduces the chance that water would enter the rear end through the vent if the car was run through deep water

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,701 Posts
It's not widely recognized, but rear end gears generate a lot of heat during use. If you touched the center section of a race car's rear end that just came off a roadcourse you could actually burn your fingers. Many racecars even have coolers for the rear end oil.
When things get hot, they expand. The rear isn't even halfway full of oil, the rest is air. As the oil and air both expand the vent lets air out. If not for the vent, you'be be blowing seals out on highway trips. Later on the rear end cools off, everything shrinks back again and fresh air is drawn back in. So you really need that vent.
The hose is basically to keep water out of the rear. And tucked up out of the road draft supposedly helps minimize the amount of dust in the tube. Since the tube never signifigantly sucks air in, no filter is needed. Cooling down takes a long time, the drawing in of air is a VERY gradual process.
Can you live without the hose? Sure. You'd want to get one on there sometime though.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'll add that unless you keep keep the opening clear, it'll clog with dirt, mud or whatever and seal the housing off which will let it all build pressure. As Tracy said, pressure will blow a seal because of the the heating of the oil and air. It doesn't take much. About the other end of the hose, there should be a hole in the frame above the hose nipple that the hose slips into. It might or moght not have a grommet, mine does. Make the hose longer to allow for suspension movement and affix to both ends. Also, ensure that the vent hole is open before you install the new hose -- I have used very small drill bits by hand in the past. You can also remove it and clean it but you'd need to reseal it as it hold the brake distribution block on the rear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts