Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am removing the carrier and housing to switch from 2:80 to 3:55 gears, but I am having trouble getting the axle from the driver's side to come free from the bearing housing. My father gets the creativity award for suggesting to use the wheel as a slide hammer against the lug nuts, but that didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've had this problem before and what I did was take an old wheel and bolt it on securely. Then I took my 4 pound sledgehammer and "GENTLY" tapped on the wheel. Be sure to tap around the wheel as much as you can (side to side and top to bottom) to avoid cocking the axle and wedging it further.

Every day is a holiday if you love your job.

Current projects: 65 Fastback, 68 Coupe Oval Track Racer, 64 Galaxie 500 XL, 54 F-100 Pickup
http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/h/030/44/30304480.jpg

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I've also used a drum as a slide hammer too.....if it's really stuck, an old one is advised...it may not be useable when you're done...*G*

Are you sure you got all the nuts loose on the retainer? Axles usually just pop right out....the ones on my D-coder pulled right out and the rear had 187K original miles....I had to replace the axle bearings...

Guess if the car's been in salt or damp a lot, the bearing could've rusted into the housing....try warming up the housing with a propane torch (carefully, don't want to cook the seals) and squirt some rust penetrant in there...let sit and try the slide hammer again...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The drum idea worked on mine last time. But, the first time I had to rent an axle puller (slide hammer) and it was well worth it.

'68 Coupe, Modified 289 w/ Holley blower
'65 Convertible (future 66 Shelby GT350 clone)
427 Cobra Replica

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just pulled out mine last week. Same problem, just hit the center with a lump hammer and they will pop out. Same trick applys to truck axles only with a bigger hammer!

'66conv. [color:red]Red</font color=red> w/ [color:white]White</font color=white> stripes SHELBY STYLE

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Hope you got it out and don't need this, but it will get out the toughest axle. My ex drove 100 miles with the parking brake set by a parking attendent on my '68 Torino one time. Smelled her drive up!

The bearings were solid in the flange houising and wouldn't come loose. Old shade tree friend of my Dad's got out the longest tow chain I've ever seen and attached it to the hole in the axle. Back off with a little slack in the chain and "whip" it (the chain that is).

I wound up pulling out the axle along with the brake housing, brake shoes, wheel cylinders, brake lines etc. Came out though. The heavier the chain the more power.-Doug

Doug-"Whether you think you can or think you cannot.....you're right!!" INDY-USA. GT/CS w/289-2v,PDB,A/C,PS,candyapple red,black top and interior,pertronix,chromeSS Wheels w/ GT centers, 215x14 BFG radial T/A's 3.55:1 open and KYB's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts