Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well all, this is unusual.

I went to get into my car this evening and much to my surprise, I couldn't open the door - Either of them! I unlock the door just fine, but when I press the plunger, there's no resistance at all - It feels like trying to open the door when it's locked. I can open the door from the INSIDE with no problem at all, and the lock must be working, because if I'm sitting inside the car and I lock th edoor, I can't open it. It's not like the lock is stuck, it's like a rod or something broke that connects the outside handle to the door release... What are the chances of BOTH doors going bad at the same time??

Lucky I had my windows down or I'd have been SOL... any ideas folks? I'm having my bro check it out tomorrow - Need to install new door panels anyway. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
That is unusual. Ive never seen BOTH door handle rods coming off at the same time, but anything is possible. Get those door panels off and take a peek.

·
Registered
553 Posts
i was thinking the same thing, could have been someone trying to break in. but then i realized he said "good thing i left the windows down."

maybe it was the world's dumbest car thief! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif it could have been like the time i looked my keys in my 98 stang and spent the next hour trying to get the driver's side door open with the ol' coathanger deal. my friend comes up and says there is no way you're going to get it open with a coathanger and says to call a locksmith. i say yeah i would have but my cell phone is in the glovebox. he says oh well just as he lifts the passenger side handle and opens the door. the passenger side door wasnt even locked! i felt like such an idiot... i guess that is because i am SUCH an idiot /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The odds have to be pretty high, but I guess I could kinda see it happening. The clips that hold the rods to the door handle, or the lock rods a pretty common problem. I suppose, if you had two bad/broken/missing clips and hit a bump, it wouldn't be that hard for both rods to drop out of their respective holes.

At any rate, it's a really easy fix ... if you can swallow the $7 price tag on those clips that you know only costs Ford .001 cent to produce.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I think you've got a couple of loose screws./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Your sig line gave it away...

V8? I'd rather be pregnant.

Seriously, you need to inspect the door handle mechanism from the inside. With both failing at about the same time, I guess you are just ... lucky...

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hehehe. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Well at about 3 o'clock today I'm going to my brother's house and we're going to pull off the door panels, I'll update everyone after that... I called the dark Mustangs Plus slaughterhouse and they said they had everything in stock for my door if need be - Woohooo.

Thans for the chat guys, makes me feel better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts