Vintage Mustang Forums banner

B&M Trans Cooler

536 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  GregOShea 
#1 ·
Looking at fitting an auxilliary trans cooler to "Overdraft" & checked out the B&M coolers at Jeg's site.
With the ATF fluid viscosity flow, controlled as temperature rises,do you reckon I could safely bypass the radiator cooler? I'm running a warm 302w, kitted C4 with a 2200rpm stall.
Greg

#2 ·
I would think it's better to abandon the radiator cooler when using an aux trans cooler. That's what I did. I figured, why absorb some of the heat from the engine coolant? I have a trans temp gauge, since the deep pan has a fitting, and find that it barely moves. Hit's about 180 degrees max in the summer.

#4 ·
Hey mate.....

It all depends on how you do the plummbing.

Get the sender tube from the tranny, send it to the radiator, route it to the B and M cooler to the front of the radiator and then return it to the tranny return line....

This way it is a gradual cooling of the tranny fluid.....the engine coolant is always cooler than the trans fluid....then passing it through the B and M will bring the temp down much better altogether.

Shifting is much more consistent and the tranny is fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.