Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

I am about to have my early C4 (green dot/dual range) rebuilt by a known good transmission shop. This is a driver
car and I'm looking for firmer shifts to improve durability. The other features of this kit are not important to me. B&M has a shift kit in their Transpak line which will fit this early C4 (Part #: 50227). I would take the Stage 1 (Heavy Duty) route when having it installed during the rebuild. Any experiences with this kit? I have a Transgo kit in my 1984 Olds Toronado (oops!) and the improvement was incredible.
But I don't think that Transgo makes a kit for the early C4.

Much thanks,

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I am using the Heavy Duty B&M TransPak shift improver kit in my Mustang's C4, and I love it. It really stiffens the shifts up, but they can be "too rough" for my passengers. Of course, a good effect is also that I can bark second gear! It's pretty cool, an automatic transmission that can bark into 2nd.

Surprisingly, my gas consumption decreased as well... I got an average of 2 MPG more over 3 weeks after installing the kit.

If the transmission is in excellent shape, as yours will be, a shiftkit is an awesome idea. Also, use ONLY B&M "Trick Shift" transmission fluid - Otherwise, you're risking serious damage. Trust me.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I used a B&M TransPak shift kit in my 79 bird years ago and it did so well that it snapped the original bands. So make sure to put in some good bands to match the kit. I could chirp 2nd too in a 3500# car with a 351W. It was sweet and felt real aggresive when she shifted. Wish I still had her, it was a donzey boat though that's for sure.

·
Registered
522 Posts
No experience with the B&M kit, but transgo definitely makes a shift kit for the early vavle body, as I had one in mine. Good crisp shifts, I was pleased with the quality.

Dave

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I would not own a classic muscle/pony car without one. Prior to the T-5, I had a C4 with one and loved it.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
iDrew, you risk snapping the bands on a transmission with "more miles" on it. I'd never put a B&M shiftkit onto a car without a pristine transmission.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello All:

Thanks for your input. I was able to locate a re-seller
(www.performancess.com)who has the Transgo shift kit for my early C4. It's in route to me now. From your responses, I got the sense that the B&M Transpak, even installed in Heavy Duty mode, might be a bit too harsh...

G

·
0 Posts
I have the B&M set for "Heavy" . . I wouldn't go any less /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

This is a daily driver (well, about every other day anyway), but I like to feel like I'm driving a mean car.

With 3.55 gears the shift is very solid (you *know* it shifted), can chirp 1-2 shift, with stock gears (2.8?) shifts were good.

Didn't do anything else to the tranny, even running the run of the mill fluid.

If anything, I hoped for even a little more oomph with the stock gears, but I'm pretty happy with the shift feel with the 3.55's, and should get even better when the engine gets warmed up (close to stock right now)

Enjoy.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts