Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier I posted about my engine trans combination (302/C4 from column shift 69 Fairlane). I have discovered that I have a problem. The shift lever on the transmission is 180 off for a floor shifter. :: I am now faced with maybe 3 solutions.

1. Replace trans with correct C4 $$$
2. Attempt to convert the C4 from column shift to floor shift (still investigating)
3. Install an aftermarket cable shifter such as the B&M Unimatic.

The B&M Unimatic is advertised as universal floor shifter for both column shift and floor shift cars. I spoke with B&M earlier and they said that it will work and comes with all parts needed and shoud bolt into existing location (may need to fabricate mounts though) Does anyone have any experience with this unit or any others that will do the trick. I wanted to keep the original shifter but I am on a tight budget. One advantage is that the B&M looks like the original 3/4 speed manual shifter so it should not look to out of place. Any help/tips with this would be appreciated. Here is a link to the B&M Unimatic shifter.

-Rob

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now I am really confused. I am going through my 66 mustang shop manual and figure 18 under group 7 clearly shows the trans lever going down. The linkage goes horizontal backwards from the trans for a short distance and then goes up diaganally a short distance and then horizontally again back to the shifter. I have looked at the replacement shift linkage and it looks like the one in the manual. Does this meen that I can use the transmission that I have ??? I am really confused now. ::

Here is a link to the figure

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I just went through this - you'd think I'd remember...

The Ford manual also calls the drive position the second detent from the rear. On my trans it is the second detent from the front.

That is the correct linkage. It goes up and over to the shifter. The problem will come into play that when the shifter is in P the trans lever must beturned to the counterclockwise most position. In L it is in the clockwise most position.

With the lever facing up and connected to the shifter, when you push the shifter forward into Park, the linkage will pull the trans lever clockwise. When you pull the shifter back to drive, the linkage will push the trans lever counterclock wise. This is opposite of what you want.

Seems to me that your aftermarket cable shifter might be the easiest/cheapest fix.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frank,

What did you do to resolve this issue with your car???

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my rambling last night. When I said I jsut went through this I didn't mean the incorrect tranny lever. I was referring to which way you had to rotate the lever for park and which way for drive. So I'm afraid I can't help there.

Is there a way to remove the existing lever from the input shaft? I didn't take mine off so I don't know. But if you can then you could maybe just rotate it? Or have a new piece made up? I'm sure it's not that easy. It never is...

Interested in what you find out.

Frank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts