Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all!
I did a few searches, but could not find a reference. Please forgive if a repeat. Several years ago it was suggested that I install a B302 oil pan on ‘65GTFB as it would help in opentrack. What are the pros and cons? Any other parts needed ?
thanl you!

·
Registered
417 Posts
The Boss 302 pan has an oil control baffle. You can buy a new repo pan that comes with a revised oil pickup tube, or let a kit to weld in your old pan. Boss 302s also had a windage tray/ baffle. I am thinking of the same mod myself but considering other pan options as well.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
There are repro B302 pans out there, but the ones sold by Scott Drake (surprise!) have had issues with the spot welds that hold the baffle in place inside the pan. I've seen complaints about the welds breaking loose and sometimes to the point that the exterior of the pan is compromised and they leak.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've got one of the SD repops. The back spot welds barely held and I threw a couple tacks in there and good to go.

They do indeed have an oil control baffle. Not bad for the price, but there are better options for oil control.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All!
ETILBJ please keep me posted on what you use. I like the idea of a stock look on the outside and business on the inside. This may be a more economical way to go.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I bought the scott drake unit from summit for a 289 going into a 65, the old pan was beaten up and a questionable drain plug. I did not notice any iffy looking welds on the baffle, so I hope I will be ok! I think the extra qt thing is because of the baffles, not the volume of the pan is any bigger. There is no end to the things we can spend money on as an "upgrade" on these cars!

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
I'm using the SD B2 pan on my GT40P swap without issue. The baffles and dedicated pickup tube is a nice addition to a stockish looking pan

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
MWM, if youare opentracking, might you like to consider an even better pan than the factory gave the B302 street cars ? You could look at Canton or Moroso, I think the B302 racecars got pans from Aviad. I bought a nice roadrace pan from Canton, scrapers, baffles, and 8 quartss LSG

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
The only difference in a B302 from a regular 302 pan was the added baffle over the sump, the core of the pan was exactly the same. Capacity was "adjusted" by the full mark on the dipstick and a specific dipstick tube.

Most aftermarket suppliers offer a B302 style pan. Canton, Moroso etc. All use a Taiwanese core, it just depends on who you want to pay to put the baffle in. I'd say this is an absolute minimum if you are going onto a track. A more appropriate pan would be the Moroso 20503 or Canton 15630 road race pan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts