Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
7,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned up to a Doofus mistake in a post a week or so ago about putting my car back together in the correct order. I took my exhaust out as one piece (Collectors, H-pipe, Mufflers, Tailpipes, and tips) in order to fix my rear frame rail. Then, I messed up by putting the axle back in first, and couldn't get enough clearance to slip the exhaust system in from the back.

Anyway, I got the car drivable again and made an appointment at the exhaust shop to have my buddy cut the exhaust assembly back apart, slip it into place and reweld it, to save me from taking the axle, shocks, etc. back out from under the car.

I started the car up yesterday, and followed a buddy in a pickup with my exhaust system loaded in it to the muffler shop. I'm sure upon hearing my car going down my street with open headers, my neighbor's were all praying I was heading to the exhaust shop /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. I was surprised I hadn't gotten a call about the car by lunch time. So, I called my buddy up. He was under the car cussing up a storm. It turns out that the TCP subframe connectors hit the mufflers...so he has to basically completely redo everything. MO MONEY!

The only good news is, I'm giving back my Doffus Award, because, as you can see, all I did by screwing up was save myself alot of time and hassle. If I would have put the exhaust in first, and then the axle, the subframe connectors wouldn't have fit. Everyone says you should support the car off the axle and the front wheels when welding in subframe connectors, so you'll have the car supported as it is when it is on the ground...so I'd have ended up cutting the exhaust to get it out of the way, putting in the subframe connectors, AND THEN had to take the car to the exhaust shop anyway. By screwing up, I saved myself several hours work for nothing. Actually, I trading my Doofus in for the Wile E. Coyote Genius award! I have two now. Cool! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Phil

·
Registered
795 Posts
The good that comes from this is, the rest of us can learn from your mistake - LOL.

Good luck. I hope you buddy doesn't bend you over!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Phil, I think that called good luck. You should spread the wealth! Everyone needs good luck. I'm glad you saved the time, because as we all know, time is the most valuable part of any restoration.

·
7,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck. I hope you buddy doesn't bend you over!

He worked on it all day. Even had one of his helpers on it part of the time too. Charged me $95. CHEAP!

I hated to mention to him that if I ever figure out how to get that AODE in there...he's going to have to do my exhaust for a THIRD time, because it is so much wider than the C4. In fact, I'm sure my longtube headers won't go around it.

When I explained that to him, I thought he was going to throw a wrench at me!

Phil

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
LOL!!! yeap...while firing the engine with open headers
my stang sounded more like a P-51 getting ready for take off.... :)

Already got my TCP subframes hooked up.....

progress is slow but steady......next is the dynamatting of the interior (the rest of it)

The sound system should kick some rear end too

when all is said and done...you get what you pay for!!!

try some cold lagunitas beer it is great!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts