Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was really fun. We rented a house a half block off the beach in Leucadia, which is about 25 miles above San Diego. It's a small surfer town, with a cool funky vibe that we really enjoyed.

My boys loved the beach. I took a surf lesson, and by the end of the week was occasionally able to catch a wave. It's a lot harder than it looks !

One letdown - the lack of classic cars ! I guess in my mind I figured I'd see a lot more of them, especially mustangs. But I did not......Over the week I saw a nice '57 Chevy convertible, a '65 mustang coupe, and a few other misc "surf beaters" - most in need of a lot of sprucing up and repair of surfboard dents. ;)

We took in the San Diego Wild Animal park, Legoland, SeaWorld, and Disneyland. A true cash hemmorage, but the boys loved it.

Fun vacation, but I must admit I'm glad to be home (and back to VMF access). Dickson

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Must have been the area....they are coming out of the woodwork up here! I'm glad you had a good time....Ok, you come out here to CA for vacation, and I go out there to LA for vacation. Talk about grass is greener on the other side! You guys have better seafood! Welcome "home" to the VMF.

·
4,134 Posts
Thank you very much for spending your hard earned money here in California. :: And you need to thank Hurricane Claudette for weather that felt "just like home" :p I was stationed in So. Florida and Louisiana and have recently traveled to the southeast so I know what a good humid day feels like. That last few days was the worst that I can ever remember here in SoCal. But then again you were staying in the San Diego area near the beach, the area near the ocean has much milder temperatures. As for seeing classic cars on the mean streets of California, yea they are here, but they are getting fewer and fewer. fd

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Dickson, welcome back!
When I was in San Francisco recently
I saw a few nice Mustangs running around
and even talked to one of the owners and
looked at his car. Boy I was surprized to see
the paint ok stamps still on and most of all
-no rust!!
Sounds like your boys had a great time too!
Now it's time to get back to reality!
Steve

·
4,134 Posts
Standing in the street and looking at your house does not count as seeing 3-5 Mustangs a day. :: fd
http://mach1.classic-mustang.net/johnpro/misc_mustang/mustang_party1m.jpg

·
Registered
288 Posts
Odd, I see a minimum of 5-6 classic Mustangs a day driving to work up here. Not to mention all the others ranging from 356 Porsches, Early vettes, 50's Chevy's and more.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lemme tell you, on the coast it was never hot enough to warrant even a thought, much less a complaint....Even though that was humid for CA it's much more humid in New Orleans. Most days we were at the beach where lovely 70 degree water awaited at the first drop of sweat ! Away from the coast it was considerably less comfortable....

No "Surf's up, dude" for me, but I can see how that carefree lifestyle appeals to many. I felt like a complete spaz trying to surf. I was the oldest (and heaviest) guy in the 2 hour lesson I took...And I caught enough waves during my stay to make me want to try it again.

For those efforts, I bought myself (and the sprint coupe) a reward - a bobbing "Surfer Bob" who mounts on the dashboard of your car and "surfs" as you drive....With the rough N.O. streets, I think Bob will think "surf's up" a lot !!!! ::

·
Registered
333 Posts
Comming out of the woodwork? Great! I'll be in S.F. by this time next week, with SWMBO, Mustang Sue, for a convention at the Moscone Convention Center. Maybe we'll have an "Elvis" sighting!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Out and about every weekend (and weekday if I ever make it out of the house!). What convention are you headed to?? LEt me know when you are out here!

Dickson, I'll be headed your way the 1st week of july next year...family reunion in city park....HOW DO YOU STAND THE HUMIDITY?? (Yes, my family is a bunch of nutcases, holding the reunion OUTSIDE in N'Awlins in CITY PARK in JULY!). Have a Shrimp Po'Boy for me please!!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Standing in the street and looking at your house does not count as seeing 3-5 Mustangs a day. :: fd
:: :: :: ::

1 - 11 of 11 Posts