Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from Nobebosco BSA camp for a week. Along with the black bears roaming through the camp, we also had a lot of snakes. We had 3 rattlesnake incidents, 1 in the trading post, 1 at our camp, about 30' from one of our tents and a 3rd at anouther camp site last night.

The snake pictured is at the base of the tree, by a log. It was about 6' long and about 2 1/2" in diameter! Yes the staff was very nervous to say the least.

Also, here's a link showing pictures of the week. BTW, this is the only open BSA dinning hall east of the Mississippi river
http://members5.clubphoto.com/tom359267/840974/owner-78ef.phtml

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/54/76/11439444-084d-02000152-.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Ahhhh the joys of summer camp! Our troop is going to Camp Taquitz very soon. Bears there too. Makes you think twice about that Snickers bar in your pocket! Hope your boys enjoyed it!

Last snake I saw was two weeks ago near Xenia Ohio. What kind of non-rattling snake is big (about 2" diameter, 4-5 feet long), kind of mottled black, and jumps into the pond when you startle it? None of those out in California.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

That thing looks huge! If there is anything in this world I do not like....................SNAKES!!!!! lol

<hr></blockquote>

Move to Ireland, unless your afraid of grass, we dont have anything that even resembles a snake!

Gary

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
My brother in law killed a couple of rattlers this summer while irrigating fields on the farm. He even stepped on one!/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I try to get him to cut off the rattles and bring them home, but he never does. Average sized prarie rattlers here are about 2-3' long with 7-9 rattles. Its been a couple years since I've killed or ran across any rattlers. I hate snakes!!!!! Tried to grab a water snake one time and the thing bit me./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Some of the best times of my youth were spent at Boy Scout Camp. In North Alabama we had Camp Westmoreland, and Camp Jackson.

·
Registered
19,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, it was huge! And it was very fast and angry! The staff were clearly frieghtened in the round up of this one.

I was trying to get a better shot but it just wasn't going to happen.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Did you do the PC thing and let him go? I was on a float trip last year and a snake tried to get in the canoe with me. I was about to whack him with a paddle when a tree hugger idiot started protesting. "Don't hit him, what did he do to you?"... my reply... "Don't worry Al Gore, the paddle is to make sure he doesn't do anything to me." I am sure his thoughts would be different if he had seen my friend that spent 15 days in a hospital and nearly lost a leg from a snake bite!!!!

BTW... the word on the street is that the Dep't of Conservation has released rattlesnakes in the Ozark mountains of Mo. & Arkansas. What a hoot.

·
Registered
19,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We had bears too, 3 of them. Momma, Johny and Jimmy!

At one of the camp sites, the troop came back to find a bear sound asleep on it's back. So the scouts stood around it and they took a picture! *LOL*, no fesis.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
BTW... the word on the street is that the Dep't of Conservation has released rattlesnakes in the Ozark mountains of Mo. & Arkansas. What a hoot.
-------------------------------------------
This is because of the rattlesnake slaughters taking place......the timber rattlers released into the ozark region was to help preserve the balance of the ecosystem, they help control rat populations thus keeping disease down aka hanta virus, bubonic plague etc....

I'm sure Europe could have used a couple of diamondbacks back in the days.... :)

The diamondbacks you really have to worry about are in the Mohove area of California and Arizona......potent venom....

and
the Eastern diamond back the sheer volume of poison will take you out.....

do what I do....avoid those areas like the plague.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Gary, I lived in England for 7 years on two seperate occasions. You are correct I did not see one snake the whole time. Actually when I was younger it wasn't that big of deal, but on a farm about 20 years ago I stepped on a rattler and he got wrapped around my leg, luckily I wasn't bitten, but since then I just hate snakes period!!!!! lol

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
been in close proximity with 4 snakes in my life....

Don't give a good G_ddamn what the treehuggers say, I get a chance, they're toast (the snakes...wait a
minute, the treehuggers too LMFAO!!!)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Move out here to the piney woods of NE Texas. We have all four species of North American venomous snakes: rattlers, coral, cottonmouth-also known as water moccasins, and copperheads. Copperheads are the ones to really worry about-perfectly camouflaged on the leafy forrest floor and silent. I can't imagine an environment where snakes don't exist. At least it's not Australia where snakes can kill you by lookin' at you.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Will the snakes actually attack you or do they sense that you are coming and head the other way?

I am so affraid of snakes it's not funny. I would rather go into a lion pit they have a snake wrap around my leg. I'd probably kill it and the tree hugger.

Mind you I watch the snakes on TV that are in Africa and they give me the creaps.

Up here in Canada we mostly just have Garder (grass) snakes. Very small and very harmless.

Your a brave person !

Greg.

·
Registered
348 Posts
this snake looks longer than 6 feet! (pretty skinny, though)

http://a8.cpimg.com/image/EA/72/11439338-5d78-02000152-.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts