Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background first. We have our first Mustang as of January this year. A Britanny Blue 68 conv. plain jane six cylinder power top and nothing else. Showed 93,000 and the guy I bought it from said he was the second owner and swears by the miles. Paid $9000 but it's a good driver with a decent paint job. Has some body filler but no rot that I have found yet. To much for me, but the wife HAD TO HAVE that color!!

The road trip went perfect. 500 miles, 2 qts. of oil, 18.5 gal. of gas. Not a whimper from the old six. The only problem is that a 35 year old 200 I6 with no overdrive and 95,000 miles is hard pressed to roll on at 75-85 on the interstate. I was passed by a MOTORHOME!! AARRRGGHH!!!!!!!
But it was one of those big bus conversion things and I had the top down, so I was still way ahead on the cool/fun meter:)) Anyway for the new issues:
1.) I am not going to pull the six. It runs to good, it's original, and it's different. What I need is overdrive. In a Chevy, I could go for the 700R4. Does Ford have anything like that? The wife wants to keep the auto, so a 5sp is out.
2.) The oil consumption seems to be primarily due to leaks around the oilpan and dipstick tube. Should be pretty simple to fix this.
3.) NEED AC SOON!!
4.) Have decided to wait on the front disc brakes and do those, the PS, and a complete front end rebuild at one time.
5.) new rear end and disc brakes.
6.) A replacement carb. This one has an off-idle stumble.

All in all, we were pleased and surprised at how comfortable the car was to ride in for hours. I've been in new cars that weren't even close.

What do ya'll think?

I appreciate the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't know much about auto transmissions since I run a 4 speed but would a gear vendors overdrive work for you?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I am not sure of the fitment behind a 200, but the Ford automatic that people put into their vintage Mustangs is the AOD. Came in Fox body Mustangs of the late 80's and others. It is used behind the V-8's all the time. You will need some specialty parts to make it work, but it's doable. Try a search here for AOD and you will turn up enough reading to keep you busy for a month.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts