Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas ..I need a little help on installing the back glass on my 70 mach1. I have an edition of Mustang Monthly that shows how to install the glass for a 67/68 fastback. Included in the steps ,is the use of a section of cord (rope)that is placed inside the gasket groove that goes on to the pinch weld. Does anyone know if this rope step is required for the 70?
I have the body assembly manual with all the sealer applications and molding clip mountings,but I'm not sure about the rope part. I know that its purpose is to bring the gasket lip into the interior side of the pinch weld. Any thoughts? Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not sure about the 70's but if the glass has a gasket that wraps around it, you need the rope trick to get the interior of the gasket over the back window frame. Try setting it dry first to get the hang of it, the glass sealer is a real snotty clean up job.

Rich
68' Lime Gold Coupe

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Would always sugest the "rope trick" when setting a rubber set window.. On this particular window I would seal the gasket to glass along the bottom half then one the window and gasket are in the body opening fill the area between the body and gasket with sealant followed by reinstalling the window trim

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1609818&a=12284202&p=44925357&Sequence=7&res=high.jpg

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yes You should use a cord it works the best. When installing the cord over lap the ends some so you don't miss some of the folding of the lip and carefully pull the cord toward the center of the glass ,work both ends equally and watch your corners

·
Registered
529 Posts
I recently did the glass on my 66 FB. I used a length of 3/16" nylon braided rope and overlapped the ends at the bottom of the glass. Hardest part was where the gasket has a 90 degree corner. I also glued the gasket to the glass using 3M's bedding & glazing compound. Make sure you lubricate the gasket lip before setting the glass on the car. I used a slippery mixture of dish soap and water.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447

1 - 5 of 5 Posts