Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, we are back in Michigan. Went through lots of other States traveling. It was interesting how other places do things differently. In Wisconsin, we found the rest area and the DMV is the same place, Minnesota had similar. In North Dakota & Montana there aren't any, at least not along the US 2 route. Many places have signs that you can't stay overnight, and there is no camping. Don't know what sleepy truckers are supposed to do.
The rest areas in Washington were the largest I have ever seen, and they were PACKED ! The front row of 20 cars is all homeless folks, living in their cars, many of them were running long extension cords up to the building ! That seemed a bit bold. Lots of panhandlers there also. Its tough to find a spot where you can put the slider out AND be out of the way of traffic. Lots of tent campers in Washington, @ the rest area, on the side of the freeway, under the overpass, and at every interchange, hundreds of them.
Oregon was different, big spotlights under the overpass and no smooth concrete, but rather 6" rocks, no place to get comfortable. As you continue south to Cali, rest areas packed again. Talked to the kids who were parked behind me, the young lady was awakened by the couples dog @ 3:30, there was a mountain lion on a picnic table. She had no camera, unfortunately. Lots of places you could pull off right on the ocean, but they say no parking, or 3 hrs only. Oregon was weird, you can't pump your own gasoline. And when you have a diesel motorhome they argue with you ! Yes, I am sure it needs diesel ! and diesel you can pump yourself, but the complain.
Arizona & Nevada were desert, couldn't wait to leave, not my kind of country.

Kansas and Texas And Oklahoma didn't do it for me either. I like snow, and cold, and these places don't have it. Mrs LSG says I should be thankful EVERYONE doesn't like the cold northwoods like we do, if they did, it would be crowded. But when we are in upper Michigan, we have a square mile to ourselves.
We stopped awhile in Spickard Missouri, to visit friends. If you want rolling hills, rural, and private, this is it !

Drove through Iowa going towards home. Was nice, and the rest areas let you stay 24 hrs. You can sleep, then cook breakfast before you leave !
Crossed over into Illinois, toll roads, and rest areas you can only stay 3 hrs in ! But the also had signs reminding truckers to sleep 10 hrs after driving 11, but you can't do it here ! WTF!
Crossed through to Indiana, and found the freeway doesn't have numbered exits, like every other State we had been too does. Very difficult to know where you are.
In many States, the 2 lane highways are VERY poorly marked. Are road signs that expensive ? Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota were well marked, other places, not so much.
Met lots of folks, mostly nice, saw lots of America, already thinking about when is the next trip. LSG

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I LOVE THE SOUTHEAST. We have good roads, signs, rest areas and truck stops, you pump your own dang gas, and we have year-round Mustang weather.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
OR and NJ don't allow self-serve fuel. Maybe the gas pumpers are unionized.
Walmart allows overnight campers to use their parking lots. I believe it's their corporate policy so it's effective at all locations.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
When I head to MI for New Year's Eve I'm gonna have to look at those exits thru IN. I know the tollroad exits are numbered, cuz I'm on that more frequently, but never noticed the exits on the freeway. Interesting, I thought they were.
I was told once back in the day why you can't pump your own gas in OR, but I forgot. And it's weird.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Born and raised in Muskegon. In 2009 I moved to Texas for a career for obvious reasons. I lived in the Dallas area for 7.5 years and now I’m In Lubbock. While Dallas area wasn’t bad, it’s humid and traffic was a pain. Lubbock area is dusty, dry, and nothing to do. For those who have never lived in the midwestern states where there are seasons and lakes, you’ll never know how great it is. I’m hoping to make the return next summer for good, just have to see if the 40k year pay cut is worth it.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Arizona isn't all desert. My drive from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon was pretty scenic. There was a good bit of desert, but we also went through mountains and forest and of course, the grand canyon. What I found interesting was how "diverse" the desert was. There would be a few miles on one type of cactus, then all of a sudden, there would be "fields" of a much different looking cactus. Having never been to the "desert" before my wife and I thought it was all pretty neat.

It's still way too dry for me to ever consider living there though. I love living in my little corner of SC.

Sounds like you had a great trip!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry you had to experience Washington State. Sanctuary state as well as a lot of the cities in Washington. Homeless come here from all over the country. I mean come on what other place in this world can you deal drugs and shoot up heroin right in front of police and in front of our county court house in downtown Seattle and not get even so Mich as a ticket.😡 So much theft too just so those homeless fecks can feed their addiction. Tourist have had feces thrown at them as well as bottles of urine. Sorry for the rant too.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
OR and NJ don't allow self-serve fuel. Maybe the gas pumpers are unionized.
Walmart allows overnight campers to use their parking lots. I believe it's their corporate policy so it's effective at all locations.
I've stayed in the Super Walmart parking lots twice, each time on my way up to Tnn towing the trailer. They say you are supposed to go into customer service and check in. Both times they seemed confused as to why I went inside. They want you to park away from the building, usually near the gas station.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
The app - RVParky shows which Walmarts allow camping. We did a month long tour a few years ago along RT66. Really enjoyed the Southwest part of the country. We want to make it to the Florida Keys on our next trip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts