Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new Centerforce clutch installed and headed back to the track this evening. Previous best run was a 14.9 with a bad clutch.

Was able to get a 14.01 @ 97 with a weak 2.17 60ft. I trapped 99mph on one run but my sixty foot was 2.28.

I don't think 13's are out of the question.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what tires are you running?? Also, how are you actuating that clutch? Sometimes it's difficult with the stock type linkage to slip things properly and not end up in with plain old unrelenting tirespin lol. Not that that's really an easy thing with a cable...just easier than with the stock setup!!

Regardless of the answers to the above though, I think you'll definitely hit a high 13 eventually, even if you don't change a thing. With a good set of tires and little else, mid 13's would be in the bag.

Nice work!

Cris

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

The tires are a Hankook Ventus RS-2s, 245s in the back.

I was bringing the revs up to about 2000-2500. Let the clutch out fairly slow give it about 3/4 throttle and put it to the floor when the clutch was fully released.

·
Registered
230 Posts
65fast said:
Thanks!

The tires are a Hankook Ventus RS-2s, 245s in the back.

I was bringing the revs up to about 2000-2500. Let the clutch out fairly slow give it about 3/4 throttle and put it to the floor when the clutch was fully released.
Definitely well done =D. You're doing it right by the way...you just need practice on how quickly you can let the clutch out without giving up traction. Some wheelspin is a very good thing, as long as it's not out of control. It keeps the engine in the powerband and doesn't let it bog down when the clutch finally locks up. You should be able to get some 1.90ish 60's out of that thing as it sits, and if so...that should cut about .4 second off your ET =D.

Again, very nice work!!

Cris

·
Registered
739 Posts
Very nice 65fast - glad to see people using their cars for more than car shows. :)

Why not list a run down of your drivetrain and vehicle weight so others can compare.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Breaking into the 13's is well within reach!

When I started my build, my goals were:
- 1/4 mile, under 14 seconds, over 100 mph
- +1.0 g on the skid pad

I may have to meet you at the track to, hopefully, check off the 1/4.

Tim

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tims65 said:
Tim
Without a doubt, I went to 75-80 about 15 minutes from where we autocrossed in Frederick. I think you car will probabaly run circles around mine when you get it done!

Somethingclever said:
Why not list a run down of your drivetrain and vehicle weight so others can compare.
Motor:
302 9.5:1
Ported 289 Heads 1.94/1.60 Valves
Comp XE268 cam
Weiand Stealth Manifold
Edelbrock 600
Stock Ign w/ pertronix unit
Try-s

Trans
Toploader

Rear
9" 3.50 Trac-lok

Weight is probably pretty close to stock. Interior is all there and the car has subframe connectors.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Tims65 said:
Breaking into the 13's is well within reach!

When I started my build, my goals were:
- 1/4 mile, under 14 seconds, over 100 mph
- +1.0 g on the skid pad

Tim
That's really funny....my 65 when I built it the state goals were:

High 11s in the 1/4
Drive it anywhere
Capable enough to have fun at open track events

Our setups really aren't all that different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts