Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Texas in the Dallas area

Yesterday was the 1st day EVERYONE in the household was back to work, full time.

My wife was furloughed, and then quarantined, as a nurse, since one of the nurses she worked with was positive. She started part time 4 weeks ago, and full time this week.

My son was furlough 1st week in April, started back full time this week.

I am retired, but have a job to keep occupied, other than my Mustang parts. We were furloughed to 1/2 time with pay (stay at home, no work), and 2 weeks ago, back to full time, but working from home.

Traffic is WAY up, gasoline is up 45 cents a gallon, restaurants, bars, the gyms, are back open.

Most people wear a mask, many do not. I did travel to a town of about 5000 near Dallas, and NO ONE in the town had a mask, no 6' markings anywhere, and all business were open like nothing had happened. Apparently COVID was banned from the town.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I am still out for a long time. I have kidney surgery in a week. It may take awhile to recover and during that time I should not expose myself to Covid 19. So I just keep doing what I can building my garage.
I think it may be September before I go back to work. IF the company I work with survives.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
My wife has been working, pregnant, throughout the whole thing. Her vet clinic was doing "drop offs" for 2 months. She gets a production bonus based on the revenue she brings in, April was one of the largest bonuses she's ever made. Their business was up a lot. They went back to allowing people in the building two weeks ago, but no mask and you don't enter. They currently have 3 pregnant employees they're trying to protect as well as everyone else.

I worked from home for 10 weeks. I was busy the whole time. We started back in the office on Monday. My engineering firm is small, around 16 employees, we're all spaced pretty far apart already.

South Carolina is a little unique, as we have no large cities. I wouldn't even consider Columbia a large city, more of a large sprawling suburb with a city like center. NC and GA both have several large cities and their numbers are significantly higher than ours, although the death rate based on population is about the same.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
After a couple of month of recuperating from cancer surgery / covid stuck-at-home, I'm back in the field for my employer on June 15th.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Going back Monday, June 8. Been work-from-home since April. I work as an engineer in a large manufacturing facility which has remained open all along but those of us who can work remotely were asked to do so. Lots of precautions in place - distancing, masks, ongoing sanitation, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
3M is still making sand paper, no shut down for us. But they came to us last week and said we had 40 hours of covid time we had to take, so after 12 hours today I will be off until Monday evening. There is talk that we will get another 40 after July1. My wife being a realtor has been selling/showing houses steady ever since the snow melted.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Our industry is hosed and will be for the foreseeable future. We’re going back as soon as the capacity limits allow, perhaps July. We’ll be under capacity limits for the foreseeable future. We’re fortunate in that the resorts will subsidize the shows as they’re part of the whole experience. Many unsubsidized shows will likely close. Some of the resorts open in limited fashion tomorrow. Convention and corporate work won’t pick back up until the first of the year, if that. Theater is done until at least well into fall. Maybe by the holidays. Sports are returning here but with no fans so they don’t need us. Touring is getting killed.

We're at 32% unemployment right now in Nevada. In our industry worldwide it’s nearly 100%. The live event/live sports industry is hit harder than any other. There is no light at the end of the tunnel.

·
6,968 Posts
I'm not in awhtx's boat, but in that same type of craft, I guess. We closed our office to walk in traffic, eliminated all face-to-face meetings, try to practice social distancing and keep on coming to work 40+ hours a week. So far we have had zero cases in our business.

I'm talking to some industry contacts that are being told to stay out of the office if at all possible through November.

Some of the industrial facilities around us that worked non-stop through April and May are now shut down because they have run through their raw materials inventory and can't get more.

To be JUST A BIT positive, there are some things about this time that I really hope continue after we get through the pandemic. Online meetings for instance. I had one this morning that lasted 40 minutes and we got more done than we would have at our regular face-to-face in 3 hours. Plus...that normal meeting is a 2+ hour drive for me each way...so in 40 minutes I accomplished what would have taken a day and I saved the $25 parking fee and maybe the same in gasoline.

Phil

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think that's one good thing that will definitely come out of this. My job has the same issues... I've had to drive as far as TN and fly to CO and TX (from SC) for meetings that are necessary, but take 30 minutes to an hour, tops. Virtual meetings work well enough for me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The BW is retired, I am too but I work part time and have been laid off since the middle of March. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back, since I'm over 65 (73 actually) and "at risk" for the Chinese panic. But my present big concern is what the hell happens to my socks in the dryer? How can one of each pair just up and disappear? 20200603_181319.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,772 Posts
Haven't missed a night of work, now switched to day shift. We have been more cautious than before, and have had only one Deputy with the virus (poor guy lost 40 pounds and he didn't need to), two corrections officers (one was asymptomatic), and ZERO cases in our jail. That is even with still bringing all the domestic violence, DUI, and drug arrests we have seen increase in the last couple of months.
Wife still has to work from home until mid August.
Kids have started football practice and are running short drills etc with masks on until some type of mask comes the school has ordered for use with helmets. It's gonna get interesting in the Alabama heat.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
The BW is retired, I am too but I work part time and have been laid off since the middle of March. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back, since I'm over 65 (73 actually) and "at risk" for the Chinese panic. But my present big concern is what the hell happens to my socks in the dryer? How can one of each pair just up and disappear? View attachment 757063
They turn into Tupperware lids.....

·
Registered
238 Posts
They turn into Tupperware lids.....

Haha, yeah that's another thing. The Tupperware and the lunch meat containers are apparently breeding like rabbits in our cabinets.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Haven't missed a night of work, now switched to day shift. We have been more cautious than before, and have had only one Deputy with the virus (poor guy lost 40 pounds and he didn't need to), two corrections officers (one was asymptomatic), and ZERO cases in our jail. That is even with still bringing all the domestic violence, DUI, and drug arrests we have seen increase in the last couple of months.
Wife still has to work from home until mid August.
Kids have started football practice and are running short drills etc with masks on until some type of mask comes the school has ordered for use with helmets. It's gonna get interesting in the Alabama heat.
Don't see how they do it with helmets let alone with the mask & now I see shields( maybe only college but dang) when I was doing HVAC work on big commerical jobs hard hats were mandatory and they only sit on your head not around it can't keep the sweat wiped off. Oh well like they say about ALA. weather if you don't like it wait 15 minutes.. or until August

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I have been working from home since it started. They are actually reevaluating whether guys in my field ever need to have an office desk any more. Since we travel so much and and are comfortable working remotely, we have been able to work satisfactorily from home, I foresee them telling us to keep working from home to save $$$. Fine with me but it has been very difficult starting a new job and trying to see a major corporation through the soda straw of a laptop. but its a living. Its one thing working remotely with people you know but meeting and working with people making relationships over electrons is very hard and unsatisfying...

The worst part is I am separated from my garage till I move in Sept so while I have had all this time and extra money since I don't drive an hour each way any more and the bars are closed so that is a huge boost in pocket money ;o), I have not been able to move my projects forward in any accelerated manor. I did however get my Mustang done yesterday and am ready to fire it up for the first time this year...

CHeers

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Have worked every day before and since this all started. That's the working life of an "essential" worker . Now if they would pay me like I was truly that essential to the state of Arizona. 😬

·
Registered
628 Posts
Have worked every day before and since this all started. That's the working life of an "essential" worker . Now if they would pay me like I was truly that essential to the state of Arizona. 😬
What I do is 'essential', but those who stay home still get paid.
On top of that, I won't see one penny more in my check.
On the good side, at least I kept receiving a check through this mess and the alternating work days keeps the number of knucleheads in the office to a minimum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts