Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's fixer upper does not have backup lights. I'd prefer they did for safety reasons. How difficult is it? Do I replace the rear valance with one that already is drilled? or can I drill the one I have? Also where is the back up switch normally located?

We have a C4 currently in the car with plans to keep it.

Regards

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I cannot provide much help but I do know that you can cut the one you have if you are daring enough or do not care about originality. Just be sure to get the right location and size for the holes. You can probably pick up a repro panel with the backup light holes fairly cheap. I am not sure how well the fit would be though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Reproduction valances are available, but the fit can be questionable. If your valance is in good shape, it could be cut to fit the reverse lights. I would advise using one already cut as a pattern as it is not a simple round hole. Also, you will need to punch-out/drill a hole in the trunk drop-off on each side for the wires to pass out of the trunk to the lights. On my 4-speed, the switch is located on the shifter. I would guess that the same would be true for the automatic. In addition to the lights and switch, you will need the wiring harness extension that runs along the transmission tunnel under the carpet and connects the switch to the main wiring harness under the dash.

Good luck,
Chris

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Reproduction valances are available, but the fit can be questionable. If your valance is in good shape, it could be cut to fit the reverse lights. I would advise using one already cut as a pattern as it is not a simple round hole. Also, you will need to punch-out/drill a hole in the trunk drop-off on each side for the wires to pass out of the trunk to the lights. On my 4-speed, the switch is located on the shifter. I would guess that the same would be true for the automatic. In addition to the lights and switch, you will need the wiring harness extension that runs along the transmission tunnel under the carpet and connects the switch to the main wiring harness under the dash.

Good luck,
Chris
That brings up a question I have on my 66... what is the correct location for the wiring holes in the drop-off? Mine were replaced and the hole location has been lost.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Since you have a C4, installing back up lights is a little easier than if you had a standard trans. The neutral starting switch is also the back-up light switch. Follow the wire harness from the trans to about the middle of the fire wall near the upper lip. There should be a pair of two pin connectors, red and blue. Unfortunately, I forgot which one is which but in your case, the one not used is for the back-up lights. You will have to kludge a plug to fit it unless you can find a vintage neutral safety switch donor (or a donor wire harness) to get the correct plug from.

Run one wire to a key on power source and the other back to the back-up lights. Make sure the back-up light bodies are well grounded and everything should work. You may have to drill holes in the trun drop off panels (the vertical sides) for the back-up light plugs to fit in unless you decided to run all your wires externally.

Hope this helped.

Dean T

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a '65 fastback with back up lights. Let me know if you need a template. PM me if you need help. I can make a template, scan it and send you a .jpg file.

·
Registered
36 Posts
AFTER i obtained my 66 I noticed that the neutral switch did not operate. The p.o. cut the wires from the switch and twisted them together to bypass the switch. I replaced the switch and bought a red two pin wiring connector for trailers at Pep Boys that was an exact match.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey, 66kgt:

I'm not sure where you are in Illinois, but you can come by and look at the holes in my '65 coupe trunk drop-offs to get the correct measurements. The car is nearing complete disassembly (only the windshield, engine, and transmission remain) and is up on jack stands. I'm located near I-88 and Rt. 47. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts