Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I made the right choice in taking Midlife down to bare unibody.

For the first time in 5 weeks, I had time to work on the car: still removing undercoating. I'm working on the driver's side rear wheel well, where I knew there was an aluminum patch panel, riveted in. There's actually two of them, and one goes right next to the quarter panel. I guess I may not be able to save the paint afterall.

The big surprise was that the flange on the outer well that covers the inner well at the front was rotted out on both sides, with some rot on both the inner and outer wells. It looks like I can patch things without too much problems, however. I wonder how much more rust I'm going to find? I figure it's better to find it now rather than later, when I have an accident and the car folds up on me!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Randy,

If Midlife is a true KEEPER, than you might as well bite the bullet and do it all NOW and go with some fresh, shiny new paint to set it off. I know rust repairs can be very frustrating as when you think you have found it all, a new area pops up. Keep at it and I am sure Midlife will thank you deeply for NEW life ... *G*

randy

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Awww, an iron oxide mine......... *G*.

If that's all you found then you are probably lucky. That shouldn't be too hard to repair. Even if you get into the outside paint a little, you should be able to repair that. Yours is a fairly recent paint job with a stock color right? That should be fairly easy for a color match.

P.S. - I saw a picture of you at the CF-2, nice shirt.............. *G*

·
Registered
657 Posts
Seems like there is always a surprise...and seldom the kind you like. Hope you get it all this time. Won't have to worry about it for at least.......two or three years.....

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Randy, bro:

I'm destitute (i.e. poor). Buying repro sheet metal for the undercarriage is cheap compared to a full blown paint job! If I can, I'd like to keep the paint intact, even though it is not show quality due to poor craftsmanship and lots of bucks. If I have to get at the paint, I will, but I will try and keep it to a minimum. I can't afford another $5k paint job!

I did find some CandyAppleRed in a rattlecan, and it's a perfect match, except for the quality of the finsih. You think Charles Turner would notice? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You like that shirt? Kewl! I can't remember how I got it...perhaps some old fart up Oregon way went all the way to Hawaii just to buy me a shirt? Nah!

It's one of my fav's, and goes so well with the black mustang tie I was wearing as well.

I've given up on t-shirts, as when I wear them to shows and such, I turn into a southern *******, and man, does that hurt!

·
Premium Member
19,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You got it wrong: I'm going to get every piece of rust outta there, and it'll last for another 25-30 years. I'm getting too old to do this every couple of years. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
657 Posts
Brother, I SINCERELY hope you do. Besides....we really are too old for this crap. I spent all day in 90+ heat with 90+ humidity putting my interior and top back onto my car after getting it back from the body shop. Any nine year old with an attitude could whip my butt right now!! I feel like I have wrung out and I wish someone would hang me out to dry!!
But the payoff was about two hours ago. I took her for her first cruise since February. God it was good!! The top down, the deep throaty bubble in the back, the wind in my hair. Ahhh...life is good again. I have missed my baby!!
I hope you are cruising in yours faster than that my friend!

·
Registered
657 Posts
My wife's Grandfather used to say "If they look that close, stick your finger in their eye."

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
That dang rust just shows up everywhere! I found a pin hole on the bottom of my good door shell. I committed a mortal sin and oopsed a little bondo over it, hopefully fixing it forever..../forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I guess since my door panels are rusty thin in places, I'll daub a liberal coating of over-rust (like POR-15) all over the inside of the shell since the guts are all out of it now. The door shells do look good though....for now. Good luck you old rusty geezer./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

P.S. Like GT350Clone mentioned, you can always glue the carpeting down with liquid nails to help hold the unibody floor pan system together, hehehe, LOL. I'm thinking you are about ready to get even with me!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts