Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Just starting my spring tune up.
I had it in storage since November and have done a few things so far, replaced valve cover gaskets, installed new PCV setup, new fuel filter and line. I reinstalled the battery after this and started it up for the first time since the fall... its giving me some major backfiring, some black fluid blasting out of exaust as well.

One thing I know i screwed up on was I didnt fill my gas tank up before storage, I usually always fill it up and add a fuel stabilizer. This year for the life of me not sure why I left it half full. anyways someone told me that its probably water in my fuel from condensation over the winter. Would this cause probable backfiring? Ive never had backfiring from this car before.

if so what are my options to fix this....fill it up with new gas? throw in another additive?

thanks

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Double check you PCV setup. You might have a vac leak causing a lean scenario. That will give you some backfire... You could drain the tank and start fresh, but it's only been 4 months... Adding fuel might be OK. Is the fuel filter installed correctly?? Just pointing out some obvious things. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive already checked my PCV setup but maybe ill just take it off and see what happens. If it were a fuel mixture problem, the backfiring would be caused in the manifold right? and if so it wouldnt be shooting out black from my exaust? i think...

As for my filter, When i bought it, it didnt come with any instructions as to what direction i was suppose to install it. I did it based on experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts