Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The used original backup fixtures I've had stored away have two wires coming into it with both wire ends designed to touch the base of the bulb. Isn't the backup just a single element circuit? If so, why didn't they have one wire connect to the bulb socket and the other going to the base of the bulb? According to one of my manuals I need bulb #1141 which may be the one that has two contact points at the bottom, whereas another manual says #1156 but that one has only one contact point so I could not use it with the wiring I have.

Should I change the wiring so that only one wire touches the center of the bulb's base (#1156) and somehow connect the other wire to the bulbs socket or try and find bulb #1141?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
1141 is a single contact base as is the 1156.
the 1156 is just a brighter bulb.
1142 is the double contact bulb
You will find back up light assemblies that use both types of bulbs on Mustangs

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
You want an 1142 bulb with two contact points if your socket has two contact points. I just went through this myself and found that my owners's manual was wrong. Using the bulb with a single contact produced blown fuses and backup lamps that didn't work.

The 1142s seem to be harder to find than the 1156s, though. I couldn't find them at the big chains like Advance Auto Parts, but a local, smaller store had them in stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts