Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened to both my 1965GTFB and our '94 suburban, twice to the sub.
About 2 weeks ago the wife gets gas at COSTCO. Tank was close to empty but not on fumes. By the time she gets close to home(5-7 miles) car starts running bad, missing, pinging like engines do when they desil. It finally dies as she is rolling up to the driveway. This was on the '94 sub. 5.7 w/ after market Edelbrock MPI added by orig owher (my brother) many years and 60k+ miles ago. Also has Jacobs Mileage Master ignition. I was able to start it and move it into driveway then it would die after about 10-15 sec, then jsut crank and not fire. Let it sit for a day or 2 until I had time to get to it.

Changed fuel filter, still would not start. Check fuel pressure at fuel rail, up to specs with key on and when cranking even though it wouldn't start. Figured that was good news as pump must be ok and I won't need to drain 40 gals to drop tank and change pump(although after doing on of these on our '91 sub I swore the next time I would cut an access hole in the floor, some thing they should have done at the factory).

After all that pressure checking I get in and play with the switch(anti-theft) for the Jacobs. Also installed by the brother and he has yet to find instructions for me. It has a run, anti-theft, and spring loaded reset positions. I just flipped it to all settings and back to original spot. IT THEN STARTED AND RAN FINE. So I think maybe it was just the Jacobs needed to be reset?

MUSTANG part of the story:
Two nights ago I fill up the 1965GTFB at the same station, took about 14 in my 16 gal tank. On the way home I drive to pick up the youngest son at his Junior College basketball practice(about 5 miles) and the Stang dies right at the school. Lots of cranking and waiting about 15 min. and it starts and it's run fine since. Call the Costco that night just to make them aware that maybe some thing is up with their gas.

Suburban AGAIN!
Today the oldest son fills up the sub at the same station and gets it home fine. About 3 hours later on the way back from an errand it does it again. Running bad, missing, that rattle want to die, etc. Called the Costco again. Haven't had time yet to check pressures etc.

Does this sound like bad gas?
If it had been just the sub I would have no necessarily thought that.

Thanks for any helpful thoughts.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Sounds like it could be. I work for a grocery chain that has several fuel stores in some of the parking lots. A couple months ago, when the fuel delivery came, the idiot truck driver filled the premium tank with diesel. Huge mess and cost them a fortune to have the tank pumped and the now hazardous waist removed. The caps for the tanks are color coded to the nozzels on the truck and this mental giant still managed to screw it up.

It does happen. We didn't find out about it until a couple customers filled their gasoline cars up with diesel.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple months ago, when the fuel delivery came, the idiot truck driver filled the premium tank with diesel.
No diesel at this station. But I guess that doesn't mean there couldn't have been some kind of foul up back where the tanker fills up.

We are going to avoid the Costco for awhile. Been getting gas there for years without problems.
For sure not going to be putting any of their juice in the son's 68 that we are still breaking in the motor on. Up to about 250 miles now. I need to get some pics of it posted now that it is done.

G

·
Go and buy a few bottles of fuel dryer and quit getting gas at costco for a while and see what happens. Bad gas is getting more and more common these days. Our local 76 station had a bad problem with large amounts of water getting into their tanks.

·
Registered
915 Posts
You get what you pay for especially when it comes to gas. Trying to save a buck will cost you hundreds at the wrong station. Ask me how. My wife use to go to one of our local stations because it was .10 cents cheaper. Over 20 gallons thats a whole whopping 2.00 dollars. It caused all sorts of emission problems to the sensors because they thinned the fuel.No proof though. I was out a couple of hundred dollars.I tell her to only buy midgrade or high grade fuel over that 20 gallons it's the same principle 2.00 more for the fillup.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
sounds like crappy gas to me

·
Registered
436 Posts
It sounds one of the mods to the Suburban is the culprit. As far as the Mustang, who here has not had to deal with them deciding not to start for God knows why?

Personally, I do not believe there is a such thing as "bad" gas in this day and age (or VERY rare). The EPA mandated fiberglass tanks eliminated a lot of condensation IE water in the tank, and the fuel is ran through a drier/filter before it exits the nozzle.

People tend to blame bad gas on anything they cannot explain. In old cars it's usually crud sucked up from the 40+ year old gas tank getting into the fuel system.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
At which Costco did you fill up? I see you're somewhere in N. Cal, my wife uses them regularly and I want to avoid that station.

G

·
Bad gas does happen!! Just last week my local 76 gas station was coming down daily to buy filters and gas dryer. The owner told me they had alot of water in their tanks and three people had been towed into local repair shops and were confirmed "waterlogged". Now I do agree that some people want to believe its bad gas when there may be other problems. A new fuel filter and gas dryer are good places to start. Just sayin'

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Santa Rosa, store on Santa Rosa Ave.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Ted - knowing how well you maintain your cars, having it happen with two of them in such short order doesn't sound like a coincidence. It does sound like bad gas and I'm thinking maybe some water got into the pumper since the Mustang restarted.

You might try a bottle of isopopyl alcohol in the Mustang. It lets the water mix with gas if that is the problem. If it is diesel you'll have to drain the tank, but I don't think you would have been able to restart the Mustang on diesel. On the new car, I don't know the effect of alcohol as regards the injectors, but it seems from other VMFrs here that whatever a good dryer is might work. Also, some injector cleaner as insurance. After running a couple of tanks of gas once the problem is gone, might be a good idea to change fuel filters again. And keep a spare in the car -- could take awhile. I'm going to fill up today and think I'll avoid the RP Costco. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sounds one of the mods to the Suburban is the culprit. As far as the Mustang, who here has not had to deal with them deciding not to start for God knows why?
I agree that only God know, but what he might know is that it is the gas.

So, this morning it starts fine and I drove it to work no problems(about 3 miles). I did start it againg later last night and it still ran like crud.
I changed the filter the 1st time it happened.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
I think it is your ignition security device. *Nothing* you did to the Suburban would have compensated for bad gas, but once you reset the security device it started perfect.

John Harvey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts