Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Some of the stock tanks have a drain but good luck getting it out if it is 50 years old!...
Yea, I broke the threaded bung off on the inside of the tank trying to get the one out of my original '66 tank. And yes, I did soak the threads and let it sit for awhile before trying.

·
Registered
9,033 Posts
Replace the tank and be sure to blow the lines out. Run an extra disposable inline filter for a while and maybe upgrade for more capacity if you feel like it. If you do need a new sending unit (most likely will) be sure to calibrate it before installing it in the tank. I don't know the specific ohm readings for your year, but it's in the shop manual.

·
Registered
437 Posts
New fuel tanks are so cheap now that I wouldnt even hesitate to replace it. Replace the fuel filter as well as the sock filter on the pickup tube for the fuel pump and all rubber fuel hoses.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Replaced filter today and added an additional between the pump and inlet in engine bay.

Inspected tank, yes it has the drain plug. Tank looked good inside gas was yellowish. Gonna drain it, blow the lines out, and refill..

21 - 25 of 25 Posts