Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out that my pony has a blown head gasket or most likely a cracked head. That really sucks, the guy I bought it from said the engine has about 2000 miles on it. I call BS!!!! The guy advertised it on the forums here, any way to do a search for his name, I can not find the original ad.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Engine could have been rebuilt (Maybe not) and the head gasket installed poorly or the gasket failed. Anything is possible. Cracked or warped head is different story.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like Johnpro said, rebuilt is a word that just kind of gets tossed around. For example, I just finished "rebuilding" my motor. My mom couldve called it "rebuilt" about $2,000 ago when I replaced all the gaskets...but my "rebuilt" consisted of machining, magnaflux, headwork, etc. I would suggest replacing the gaskets and taking the heads to a respected machine shop and get them to check it out. Sorry to hear bout your motor.
-Ryan

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
it could have been rebuilt i had the motor rebuilt in my 95 f150 and it lasted about 2000 miles til the oilpump siezed up. how did the motor look when you got it. was it all covered in oil or was it nice clean. one other thing just because they show you a receipt where it was rebuilt doesnt prove that it is a good motor. when i bought my 68 fastback the guy said it had a rebuilt motor and gave me all the receipts to prove it but what he didnt say was the guy who assembled the motor was an idiot. had a constant rattle and when i took it apart found that it was standard pistons in an overbore block. the motor wouldnt pull the car down the street. buying a used car is luck of the draw hopefully you get lucky.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
My rebuilt 200 last less than 15000 mile. Now I use a quart of oil per tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The 302 in my SWMBO's capri had supposedly been rebuilt, I got 5k out of it before the oil pump quit. When I had it taken apart all the pistons had cracks, and the rod bolts were stretching. I spent $1600 on the rebuild, and the car I got the motor from only cost me $1500. At least the "rebuilt" tranny that was in it is still good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts