Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car's rear that is! After going to a weekly cruise in on wednsday, I was driving the stang around with a friend of mine. After about a half hour a strange noise started to come from the rear of the car. Its sort of a grinding clunking noise and I think its more prevalent on the pass side. The noise speeds up as the car speeds up, and there is no difference in how the car rides ie. no strange bumps. I also didn't feel any difference in the braking and the noise does not occur in reverse. This sounds to me like a rear brake problem. Does this sound right? Is there anything else I should check before I pull the drums? Thanks, I appreciate your help.
BTW did anyone else have problems with the site and have to reregister?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I once had one of my rear drum springs pop loose and drag inside the drum. It made a grinding/*shooshing* sound that increased with speed. I think you're on track with finding the problem...

G

·
grinding and clunking could indicate rear gear problem, I'm sure some of the experts will drop in here, but this is what I would do:

Drop the driveshaft after raising the rear of the car, then get a friend if possible to grab a tire (do both sides) and try rotating the pinion in both directions for about *6 full turns* while your friend "drags" the tire . .everything should be smooth. 6 turns is so that the big gear gets all the way around (4.11 is prolly the most you would need to turns, but what the hay). Then let him move the tire and you drag the pinion in the same way.

I don't think bearings clunk, and unless somehting got loose and is floating around your drums, that prolly isn't it.

Try braking hard (in a very long empty street) and see if you can tell there is an imabalance or pull

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
put the first side up on a stand and take off the drum. If you find nothing leave that side up in the air and put the other side up on a stand and take off the drum. If you find nothing then with the drums off start the car and put it in gear and see if you hear the noise. Turn the key off to stop the axle, don't use the brakes, they won't work with the drums off and will hurt them if you use them. if the one axle spins and not the other simply put the wheel on the side that spinned. and do it again. the extra weight will probably make the other axle spin or you can just have somebody hold the wheel stationary and let the other axle spin. If you hear the noise if its coming from near the brakes then its probably a wheel bearing, otherwise its in the gears.

Its most likely the brake followed by a wheel bearing and probably not in the center section. Although if it were me i'de use it to justify buying a new rear end.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
My bet is that it's a rear axle bearing gone bad....

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much guys. I'll be trying all these ideas later today, I have a friend coming over to help me. This might be a good excuse to rebuild the 9" I have laying around! I'll let you know what I find. You guys are great!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news the stang is fixed! Thank you to everyones suggestions. I pulled the pass side drum and found that the piece under the wheel cylinder that holds the shoes apart, had somehow gotten knoced out and got wedged between the primary shoe and the backing plate. Five minutes of work with the help of a friend and the brakes were fixed. Thanks again everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts