Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New front end, new tires and wheels (styled steel with trim rings from CJ Pony), I have a vibration in the front end. The tire place says the tires are balanced corectly. The front end parts seem tight. The vibration starts at about 50 and lets up at about 60. The front end does not seem to have any slop in it. This is a 67 convert with power steering. As I said the ball joints and tie rod ends are new. Could this be the drive shaft? Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I have 2 66 verts with vibrations at different speeds. 1 from 45 to about 55, the other 55 to 65. All have new suspension components. Sometime I wonder if the drums just aren't balanced good enough. Other times I wonder if it's just not a small piece of everything-not one piece causing all the bad vibes.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
You need to make sure the wheels were mounted on the balancer using a lugcentric adapter and not thru the center hub hole. The styled steel wheels must be balanced using this method since the center cap hole may not be the true center of the wheel.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
66Hertxclone is right on. Use the lug holes to balance wheels. Most tire shops, unless they specialize in wheels, won't take the time to get them balanced correctly because of the time involved. Vibrations at 45-60mph are usually an indication of poor balance, or a wheel that has pitched a wheel weight. Slow speed vibrations are usually a separated tire. Brake drums androtors USUALLY won't come in to play at those low speeds unless they are way out. Driveshaft balance will come and go, but at the speeds you mentioned. Sounds like, to the tire guy (me), it's time for a re-balance first. Maybe try a different tire store.

·
Registered
332 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts