Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now get a bad vibration when turning hard right. If I turn SLOOOWWWWLY, I get no vibration, but when turning quickly it vibrates, and the harder I turn, the worse it gets. I get no vibration at all when turning left.

It feels like the vibration is coming from the left front wheel (which would sense, since it is under the most stress on a hard right turn). Does this problem sound like bad wheel bearings?

And yes, I have made sure that the lugnuts are tight...

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
When unloaded, does the wheel wiggle if you attempt to move it in or out by hand?

IME, a "bad" wheel bearing makes noise, but one has to be sensitive and discriminating (from experience) to isolate it. Rotating the hub/wheel with a stethoscope to the spindle end can also isolate bearing noise.

How does tire wear look?

Pat

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to check for "wheel wiggle" once I get home. If it does wiggle a little, at what torque should I set the nut to the spindle? FWIR, the wheel spins quite freely when unloaded, so it may be possible the nut isn't torqued enough.

And I do have some outside edge tire wear, but that's on both tires - so I already know an alignment is in order soon.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
What type of steering do you have? Manual or Power? rack?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Well, that shoots that theory to $#%^, I was thinking the powersteering bracket to frame was loose. My first Mustang had that problem when those jamb nuts or whatever they are came loose.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Jack up the vehicle from a front frame point (not a suspension point). "Wiggle" the tire from the inside, that way you can keep an eyeball on your upper/lower balljoints. It's probably the wheel bearing, but could also be a ball joint going bad.

Dave

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
camachinist said:
As opposed to recirculating balls :D
Ouch - that sounds like it would hurt! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Nice observation on the manual rack as well - that Flaming River thing has always been a pain...

And thanks guys for the great suggestions. Looks like I'll be busting out the good ol' hydraulic jack again tonight... :content:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I had flat spotted the bearings on my 86 GT years ago after bumping a curb in a snowstorm in Missouri. Going straight down the road there was a weird buzzing noise and ever so faint vibration. Put new WB's on the RF wheel and it went away.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Sounds like a left front set is going out on you. Could be a right inner, though. Just had that happen to me on the left front a few weeks ago. I changed all four including races and all is right in my little world again! Watch the quality of the bearings, though. I bought Timkins which cost more than what was offered at the chain stores, but I am very weary of low cost because...you know what comes next....you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
38,194 Posts
Sounds like a serious toe issue to me, or a very loose tie rod or idler arm. If it was a wheel bearing I would expect a low hum turning one way but not the other.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I think replacing both sets of bearings and races would be a great start. Use a quality set an pack 'em well. To adjust, I back the brake off so the wheel will spin and then slowly tighten the nut using fingers. Then use pliers or an adjustable wrench to tighten it a little more. This sets everying. Then back if of until you can use your fingers again. Tighten it finger tight and then just a touch more with the wrench for a tiny bit of preload. Whenever you lift if to adjust the brakes, check how much play there is and tighten as necessary. I like a tad of preload so there is no play. The bearings seem to like that as well. Got a lot of mileage out of the last ones, around 150,000; it is a good idea to clean and repack them each year. Keep extra cotter keys. Replacing the bearings is messy but doesn't take long. I have the sense that bearings are the problem and doing both sides is best because if one goes, then in my experience, at least one other will follow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts