Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stumped. KAR sent me a detailed drawing ( a photocopy of original drawing) of my 67 verts complete frame from bumper to bumper. What is confusing is, on the bottom is a copyright dated 1967! Is this a drawing made in 66 or 67 by an engineer that was used by ford to make the car, or was it a drawing from elsewhere ( a book or manual perhaps) that was this detailed made the same year the car was produced? I find that hard to believe because of how detailed it is. It has reference points and measurements from all over the frame, places that the car would have to be completely torn down to get. So i think this is a manual or blueprint from the car when it was first designed. Any clues? The guys name that holds the copy right is "George W. Biskev ( might be Diskev) and the copyright was granted in 1967. If this is from a book, I have got to get a copy. Thanks

67 Vert

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
any chance of sending me a copy of that drawing, I have a 68 & It should be identical
thanks
Paul

everytime I think I am done, I find more stuff to add. WHOO HOOOO!!!!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
If that drawing is copyrighted, chances are it wouldn't be copyrighted by itself. More than likely, that man made many of those schematic drawings, and published them and that was a facsimile off a page from a book.

I think there is a national registry of copyrights/patents held and is searchable by name and such, but I can't remember the phone number. I know it's in Washington D.C. There is also one in Los Angeles, California.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
With out seeing the drawing you have I couldn't address some of your question from an engineer's perspective, HOWEVER, Blueprints used to make the car wouldn't be practical information in the field. Information is gathered and published in a format used by paint/body/frame shops to straighten tweaked ponys and is pretty detailed in it's own right. This sort of information would be copyrighted at publication, hence a date well after the design process.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Registered
900 Posts
As a lawyer for a large university, I know a bit about copyright. For works created befor 1978--which yours appears to be--a copyrightable work could be copyrighted for a term of 28 years initially, plus another 28 years, if renewed prior to the expiration of the intial period. I don't know who, if anyone, owns the copyright to what you have, but it could still be protected. If it is, BE CAREFULL...you can't reproduce it on a website or make copies for distribution without payment to the copyright holder or his/her permission.

Today, anything that can be copyrighted is copyrighted upon its creation. You don't have to register it with the feds to own the copyright, but you can do so if you want your ownership registered--particularly if you plan to use something commercially.

So, the point of this epistle is to caution you about copying what you have before you find out if someone still owns it. If not, it is in the public domain and you can copy it to your heart's content. Good luck and Happy Mustang Day.

EdK (Ed Kennedy on old forum)
'66 Coupe, '94 GT Convertible, 2000 Explorer XLT

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
The Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. is where copywrites are registered. That is where searches are conducted. Years ago, I actually flew out there to renew a bunch of copywrites for a publisher. My ex also went there to research copywrites on old church hymns.

sure it's fun (most of the time), but it's only a car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts